Pixelmator Pro and the new Shortcuts app

Discuss the latest Pixelmator news.

2021-06-14 14:47:05

Now that WWDC has finished (much love, again, to the new virtual format!), we just wanted to share one very quick update with you: Pixelmator Pro will absolutely be getting Shortcuts support. And we’ll be doing our best to make sure that support is first-class – second to none.

Check out the full post on our blog.

2021-06-14 19:24:08

All we want is news on Pixelmator Pro for iPad 🥺

2021-06-14 19:54:02

Is Shortcuts an updated version of AppleScript? Will we be able to use the Applescripts we already have?

I also saw that you are working on using machine learning for cropping. As part of this, it would be great if the crop tool could automatically crop either white or black borders. I scan 100's of photos and usually have to manually crop out the borders when I'm done. It would be great if Pixelmator could do this automatically.

2021-06-14 21:48:15

by Max McCarty 2021-06-14 09:54:02 Is Shortcuts an updated version of AppleScript?
You can see it like that, but it is really a visual scripting app to get things done quicker (such as when I launch Messages, remind me to text Sarah about the Holiday) and it has been around on iOS since 2014 that they've FINALLY brought over to the Mac! here's the iOS version on the App Store: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/shortcuts/id915249334
Will we be able to use the Applescripts we already have?
YES! apple has allowed that amazing functionality! and you can import all scripts you have made in automator, they've really thought about it!

2021-06-14 22:15:11

That sounds great! Thanks again for all your hard work on Pixelmator. It's really improved the workflow on all the images I process.

2021-06-15 07:08:45

by Mateo N All we want is news on Pixelmator Pro for iPad 🥺
We knowwwwww. All I can say is things are happening – we're working on bringing support for Pixelmator Pro files to iPad. That basically means getting all the insides of the app up to date with Pixelmator Pro, which is a huge task but we're getting there.
by Max McCarty Is Shortcuts an updated version of AppleScript? Will we be able to use the Applescripts we already have?

I also saw that you are working on using machine learning for cropping. As part of this, it would be great if the crop tool could automatically crop either white or black borders. I scan 100's of photos and usually have to manually crop out the borders when I'm done. It would be great if Pixelmator could do this automatically.
You should already be able to do this using AppleScript – there's a "trim canvas" command created specifically for this purpose. Feel free to comment on the AppleScript thread if you'd like some more help. :wink:
by Max McCarty 2021-06-14 19:15:11 That sounds great! Thanks again for all your hard work on Pixelmator. It's really improved the workflow on all the images I process.
:pray:

2021-06-15 11:01:53

Andrius what, Pixelmator Pro on iPad? did I hear you correctly? You guys are AMAZING!

2021-06-22 02:30:56

Andrius,

First of all. Say thanks to the whole Pixelmator team. These updates are really fantastic. I mean, I just love this company so much!

I got my hands dirty in Shortcuts today. As buggy as the app is now, the potential there is far beyond Automator. It's easier to use yet more powerful in my opinion. This is a great opportunity to make Pixelmator automation functionality next level.

Shortcuts suggestions:

- Expose Pixelmator Pro color adjustments. Unlike Automator, add variables for all adjustments. And, expose custom .adjustment files and .cube files. This would be next level. For example, in one click you could download a .cube file, drag it to the Shortcut dock icon, and apply it to a clipboard image instantly. Or you could setup your favorite adjustments filter, apply it to an image, and send it via messages. Or you could use Siri to ask a user what they want their image to look like, the script inputs parameters, and creates a custom look for an image. Apple showed this sort of thing off in one of their WWDC examples. So it only makes sense Pixelmator does it.

- Expose all Pixelmator Pro effects. Add variables for intensity. Expose custom .effects files. In fact, I looked over the AppleScript dictionary and there already exists methods to set position and intensity. Bringing this to Shortcuts for users would be great!

- Add the ability to set image color spaces and image color depth. Good for maintaining consistently for a large set of images for example.

- Add ML Crop and ML Enhance and ML Denoise. (I'm sure these are already on the to-do list.)

- Add ML Match Colors between two images. For example, I drag an image to a Shortcut icon and the item in my clipboard automatically updates with the matched colors. Something to make this really neat would be to convert the ML Color Adjustments into a filter in one go, and export it. Instant Pixelmator filter creation. Let's say I get really smart and drag an image from the web into a Shortcuts icon, it ML Match Colors, exports those adjustments as a lut, and then saves the lut into my clipboard for me to send off in five seconds.

- Add the ability to overlay images with custom blending modes and parameters. For example, apply a watermark with "overlay" and a 70% opacity.

- Use the ML that is currently used to give layers relevant names and instead expose those details to Shortcuts. For example, only run color adjustments on the images with dogs in them.

And if we wanted to get really crazy...

- Add the ability to set position and input shapes, styles, and text onto an image. For example, this could be used to create a custom logo and then it could be watermarked onto an image in Shortcuts in one action.

Use some of that ML magic you and Apple cooked up, add some form of subject recognition to photos to really dial it up.

- For example, if it detects faces it will pass the position of the faces into the effects action, and blur the faces out.
- For example, it can scan and detect specific text and pass the position of text to the shape action to place a rectangle over it.
- For example, it selects the subject of the photo and cuts out the background.

2021-06-24 10:08:16

by Mateo N 2021-06-14 22:24:08 All we want is news on Pixelmator Pro for iPad 🥺
Pretty please.

2021-06-28 10:59:37

by Zenith22 2021-06-21 23:30:56 Andrius,

First of all. Say thanks to the whole Pixelmator team. These updates are really fantastic. I mean, I just love this company so much!

I got my hands dirty in Shortcuts today. As buggy as the app is now, the potential there is far beyond Automator. It's easier to use yet more powerful in my opinion. This is a great opportunity to make Pixelmator automation functionality next level.

Shortcuts suggestions:

- Expose Pixelmator Pro color adjustments. Unlike Automator, add variables for all adjustments. And, expose custom .adjustment files and .cube files. This would be next level. For example, in one click you could download a .cube file, drag it to the Shortcut dock icon, and apply it to a clipboard image instantly. Or you could setup your favorite adjustments filter, apply it to an image, and send it via messages. Or you could use Siri to ask a user what they want their image to look like, the script inputs parameters, and creates a custom look for an image. Apple showed this sort of thing off in one of their WWDC examples. So it only makes sense Pixelmator does it.

- Expose all Pixelmator Pro effects. Add variables for intensity. Expose custom .effects files. In fact, I looked over the AppleScript dictionary and there already exists methods to set position and intensity. Bringing this to Shortcuts for users would be great!

- Add the ability to set image color spaces and image color depth. Good for maintaining consistently for a large set of images for example.

- Add ML Crop and ML Enhance and ML Denoise. (I'm sure these are already on the to-do list.)

- Add ML Match Colors between two images. For example, I drag an image to a Shortcut icon and the item in my clipboard automatically updates with the matched colors. Something to make this really neat would be to convert the ML Color Adjustments into a filter in one go, and export it. Instant Pixelmator filter creation. Let's say I get really smart and drag an image from the web into a Shortcuts icon, it ML Match Colors, exports those adjustments as a lut, and then saves the lut into my clipboard for me to send off in five seconds.

- Add the ability to overlay images with custom blending modes and parameters. For example, apply a watermark with "overlay" and a 70% opacity.

- Use the ML that is currently used to give layers relevant names and instead expose those details to Shortcuts. For example, only run color adjustments on the images with dogs in them.

And if we wanted to get really crazy...

- Add the ability to set position and input shapes, styles, and text onto an image. For example, this could be used to create a custom logo and then it could be watermarked onto an image in Shortcuts in one action.

Use some of that ML magic you and Apple cooked up, add some form of subject recognition to photos to really dial it up.

- For example, if it detects faces it will pass the position of the faces into the effects action, and blur the faces out.
- For example, it can scan and detect specific text and pass the position of text to the shape action to place a rectangle over it.
- For example, it selects the subject of the photo and cuts out the background.
Holy smokes! Amazing effort with all those suggestions, that'll definitely come in handy as we continue working on this. :pray:
by r0b 2021-06-24 07:08:16
Pretty please.
Polite requests are the best! :smiley:

2022-12-04 19:58:16

I have not found how to add a watermark with the Overlay function in shortcuts.... could you help me, please?

2023-11-25 15:22:03

I am running Monterey but can't find the Pixelmator Pro Shortcuts shown in the tutorial. (Pixelmator Pro 3.4.3 Camelot). Can they be downloaded?

2023-11-25 16:56:05

by Mateo N All we want is news on Pixelmator Pro for iPad 🥺
+1