Improve Text tool, memory ram and a raw photo batch manager

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2022-01-21 03:43:44

Hi, I'm a graphic designer, I usually make flyers for social media and I think that the text tool has some accesses that are complicated to use, such as line spacing, character spacing, lowercase and uppercase transformations and other things, you should adjust all the text tools in the text box and use some sliders like the font size slider to make the experience faster and more accurate

Another thing that I have noticed is that when moving layers, the experience in pixelmator is not as smooth and I notice some freezing in the app, unlike photoshop, despite being a heavier program

Also, some time ago I noticed the same slowness on my MacBook Air 2017 with 8gb ram trying to open a batch of 30 photos in RAW format, that is very important when editing photos, having a good management of ram memory

It would be great if you could improve the text tools and a good photo batch manager like Lightroom. Thanks

2022-01-24 14:51:57

Thanks for the feedback, Reggie! First — the text formatting.
you should adjust all the text tools in the text box and use some sliders like the font size slider to make the experience faster and more accurate
Sliders sure are handy but they also take quite a bit of space in the UI. I fear that having a slider available for every single adjustment in addition to the value fields may result in the Tool Options pane becoming a bit too cramped. :grimacing: It is currently possible Option-scroll the value fields to change the character and line spacing which, in my opinion, works quite well as an alternative to the sliders. If you're not using this shortcut already, I'd suggest giving it a shot!
Another thing that I have noticed is that when moving layers, the experience in pixelmator is not as smooth and I notice some freezing in the app, unlike photoshop, despite being a heavier program
Some sample files would be really useful for troubleshooting those freezing issues. If you could share some, you can drop them at support@pixelmator.com. :pray:
Also, some time ago I noticed the same slowness on my MacBook Air 2017 with 8gb ram trying to open a batch of 30 photos in RAW format, that is very important when editing photos, having a good management of ram memory
That is more or less expected behavior. Pixelmator Pro, by design, follows more of a project-focused workflow and isn't really meant for processing large volumes of images at a time (unless you're using tools of automation, such as Shortcuts). Especially images as large as most RAW files are. Our other app — Pixelmator Photo — on the other hand, is built just for that. It's currently available on iOS devices only but will also be coming to Mac in the future. It should offer an editing experience closer to you're looking for.

2022-01-26 23:55:39

This is what I mean about text box

2022-01-31 11:30:15

Noted!

2022-02-05 01:42:47

by Aurelija 2022-01-31 16:30:15 Noted!
I think some text properties are also missing, like inner and external blur for neon text effect, patterned and textured fills, inner shadow, 3d texts, beveled edges

also would be great a tutorial for make 3d text on PP! thanks

2022-02-07 14:30:54

by Reggie 2022-02-04 23:42:47
I think some text properties are also missing, like inner and external blur for neon text effect, patterned and textured fills, inner shadow, 3d texts, beveled edges

also would be great a tutorial for make 3d text on PP! thanks
I'm not sure what 3D look you're going for exactly but you can find one example in the "How to create a retro text effect" tutorial right here. Perhaps it'll be of some use to you!

When it comes to the other features, would they have to be accessible via the Type tool options specifically? Because some of them are already available in Pixelmator Pro or can be created using different effects. For instance, the Inner shadow is available as a layer style under (Tools > Style). Texture fills — possible via the Format > Effects > Fill using custom images/patterns.