Objects become frozen on the screen, can no longer select or deselect them

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2022-02-13 13:53:32

I do research on newspapers that have been digitized. I cut selections that I find and download the jpg file to my MacBook. Typically the image needs some cleanup work, so I follow the following process:

1. Files are imported into Photos to enhance the image.
2. If the newspaper article is too long (too difficult to read on the screen), I decide how many sections I need to make. For example, I need to break it into 2 sections, I duplicate the image and then crop the images to represent the top and bottom section of the article.
3. Once these sections have been enhanced in Photos, I export them either as a jpg or png.
4. I open Pixelmator Classic and create a new document.
5. I drag the files onto the Pixelmator screen and resize each object to make them the same size.
6. I add a text box at the bottom of the document and enter the Source information of where the article originated.
7. When the document is completed, I Export it as a jpg.

I have been using the process for several years and have been extremely happy with Pixelmator.

Last night I created a New Document and dragged 3 files onto the screen. Typically, I select an object and size it to fit how I want it to look on the screen and then select the other object and size it to match the first object. I continue this process until I have the objects sized for the best presentation and readability.

When I began this process last night, I got mixed results. One time I was able to size the objects, but the then one of them froze. I usually click OK when I am done sizing it, and then select the other object to adjust its size to match the other. Most of the time, Pixelmator didn't display the OK. All the objects were frozen.

I tried deleting the document and creating a new document and drag the files back on the screen. Sometimes the objects couldn't even be selected or deselected. I also tried exporting the files from Photos as png's. Same results, couldn't select or deselect the objects.

I know that Pixelmator was recently updated on my MacBook. I am currently running Version 3.9.9 Classic (211119.1530). I don't think I have used Pixelmator since December, since I was busy with other work, but for 2 years, the app as worked great and did everything I needed for my specific requirements.

Has anyone had this same experience?

Thanks,
John

2022-02-17 16:12:01

Hi John, sorry to hear you're having issues! As far as I've heard, I don't think there are any widespread issues of this kind, so hopefully, it's just a temporary hiccup. As a first troubleshooting step, could you try simply restarting your Mac? This might sound like a silly suggestion, but it tends to work wonders for seemingly random issues like this. If that doesn't help, then it would be best if you could email us about this at support@pixelmator.com. We'll do some more troubleshooting and will hopefully help you get this sorted. Thanks in advance!