Pixelmator Team releases major update to Pixelmator Pro

Discuss the latest Pixelmator news.

2018-05-31 10:12:55

The Pixelmator Team today released Pixelmator Pro 1.1 Monsoon, a massive update to the world’s most innovative image editing app for Mac. The update adds a modern way to easily prepare images for the web, brings machine learning-powered Auto Color Adjustments, support for the MacBook Pro Touch Bar, a new Slice tool, SVG support, a new Tutorials page to help with learning Pixelmator Pro, and much more.

“Pixelmator Pro 1.1 Monsoon is an absolutely massive update with tons of great new features,” said Saulius Dailide, one of the founders of the Pixelmator Team. “With the innovative new Export for Web features, it’s now easier than ever to prepare and optimize images for the web. And Pixelmator Pro continues to push the boundaries of image editing with the new Auto Color Adjustments, which take advantage of the latest advances in machine learning and computer vision to automatically improve photos.”

Pixelmator Pro now gives you everything you need to prepare and optimize your images for the web. You can use advanced compression techniques to compress images to the smallest size possible without losing quality. Export presets let you quickly optimize images with your favorite settings. As you adjust any export settings, Pixelmator Pro displays a live preview of the optimized image right in the Pixelmator Pro window. Quick Export lets you instantly export a web-friendly image optimized with your most-used settings at any time. And the new Slice tool makes it much easier to prepare web designs by letting you divide entire designs into smaller images, optimizing each one separately.

With the new machine learning-powered Auto White Balance, Auto Lightness, and Auto Hue & Saturation adjustments, you can automatically perfect the colors of a photo with just a click. The machine learning algorithm was trained on millions of images to identify the contents of a photo, finding the best colors, lighting, and contrast to make every image stand out. Integrated via Core ML and powered by Metal, the Auto Color Adjustments deliver lightning fast performance and stunning quality.

Full support for the MacBook Pro Touch Bar gives you quick access to all your favorite tools and all kinds of useful options. You can apply color adjustment or effect presets, select colors for your brushes, and even share your image, all right from the Touch Bar. And whenever you switch tools, the Touch Bar automatically changes to put the most useful options at your fingertips, which makes using Pixelmator Pro simpler and easier than ever.

Pixelmator Pro 1.1 Monsoon includes many more incredible new features, including support for opening and exporting vector images in the SVG format, live previews when formatting text and adjusting layer blending options, a Select Color Range tool that lets you make selections of similarly colored areas in an image, support for exporting HEIF images, a new Tutorials page to help with learning Pixelmator Pro, and much more.

2018-05-31 16:46:46

Is this a free upgrade to version 3.7 Mount Whitney on desktop?
If so, how do I get it?

2018-06-01 04:17:11

Hi, team – I'm really looking forward to exploring all the new features. ^ ^

I just wanted to take a minute to thank you so much for including SVG export in this release – I've been waiting for years to use my favourite image editor to export highly efficient vector graphics for all my web projects. That alone is going to permanently change my workflow, making today a truly long-awaited and important day for so many of us.

Thank you so much!

2018-06-01 07:42:04

by Herman Drost Is this a free upgrade to version 3.7 Mount Whitney on desktop?
If so, how do I get it?
Pixelmator Pro is a separate, new app, so it's not a free upgrade. Also, at the moment, providing upgrade discounts on the App Store isn't possible, so as a compromise in the way of a discount, we've settled on a lower price for everyone. If you'd like to try out the app, you're more than welcome to check out the 30-day free trial right here.
by Starfia Hi, team – I'm really looking forward to exploring all the new features. ^ ^

I just wanted to take a minute to thank you so much for including SVG export in this release – I've been waiting for years to use my favourite image editor to export highly efficient vector graphics for all my web projects. That alone is going to permanently change my workflow, making today a truly long-awaited and important day for so many of us.

Thank you so much!
That's awesome to hear, honestly! I hope you enjoy all the other new features and I hope you'll stick around to let us know what you think about them too. 🙏

2018-06-18 17:29:43

I'm just starting with Pixelmator. I put some text on a jpg. I want to create an arrow pointing from the text to a spot on the jpg. Can you tell me how to do that?

2018-06-18 18:49:44

(edit) Update. Sometimes I'm an idiot. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: See next post.

Hi Mike.

If you're using Pixelmator Pro then I'd use the arrow shape in the custom shapes tool.

If you're using Classic Pixelmator then I'd build an arrow as follows.
Quick Instructions:
1. Add a triangle to the canvas. This will be the head of the arrow.
2. Add a rectangle to the canvas. This (even though it's too chunky at the moment) will be the shaft of the arrow.
3. Thin down the rectangle to taste and move it into place. You should now see an arrow pointing up.
4. Move the rectangle to the same layer as the triangle so that they form a compound object.
4a. (optional) Add the arrow to the Custom Shapes palette.
4b. (optional) Rename the layer with the arrow to 'Arrow'.
5. Resize the arrow to taste.
6. Rotate the arrow.
7. Move the arrow into position.
8. Style the arrow to taste.

Long instructions:
1. Add a triangle to the canvas. This will be the head of the arrow.
(Click and hold the mouse on the shape tool. A menu will pop out with different shapes. Select the Triangle Shape. Click on the canvas to add the triangle. Don't worry about where it's pointing yet or what colour it is.)
2. Add a rectangle to the canvas. This (even though it's too chunky at the moment) will be the shaft of the arrow.
(Click and hold the mouse on the shape tool. A menu will pop out with different shapes. Select the Rectangle Shape. Click on the canvas to add the rectangle. Don't worry about how chunky it is or what colour it is.)
3. Thin down the rectangle to taste and move it into place. You should now see an arrow pointing up.
(Switch to the Move tool (V). Use the handles on the side of the rectangle to thin it to taste. Drag it over the canvas so that it forms the shaft of an arrow pointing up. It should snap* to the centre line of the triangle.)
4. Move the rectangle to the same layer as the triangle so that they form a compound object.
(With the rectangle selected cut it (⌘X). Select the layer with the triangle on it and paste the rectangle (⌘V). You now have an arrow pointing up.)
4a. (optional) Add the arrow to the Custom Shapes palette.
(Click and hold the mouse on the shape tool. A menu will pop out with different shapes. Select the Custom Shape. A panel with custom shapes will appear. With the Arrow layer selected in the Layers panel, click on the cog in the Shape panel and select Add Shape.)
4b. (optional) Rename the layer with the arrow to 'Arrow'.
(Double-click on the name of the layer in the Layers panel. Enter a new name and hit enter.)
5. Resize the arrow to taste.
(If one part of the arrow is selected, rather than the whole thing, click on any layer but the arrow in the layers panel then click on the arrow in the layers panel. With the move tool, use the grab handles to resize to taste. Hold shift while you're doing it to keep the proportions of the arrow.)
6. Rotate the arrow.
(With the Move tool selected, hold down the command key (⌘) and drag the grab handles.)
7. Move the arrow into position.
(I'm going to leave you alone on this one. :smiley: )
8. Style the arrow to taste.
(If it's not showing, show the Styles pane with ⌘7 or the menu View > Show Styles. Pick a fill and/or outline for your arrow.)

I hope this helps. If you get stuck anywhere, give me a shout and I'll explain further or draw a picture. :smiley:

- Stef.

2018-06-22 13:18:06

Update. Sometimes I'm an idiot. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Classic Pixelmator also has arrows in its custom shapes. I just had the panel scrolled so that they weren't visible.

To insert an arrow in Pixelmator:
1. Click and hold on the Shape tool.
2. In the pop-up menu that shows select 'Custom Shape'
3. In the Shapes palette that pops up, click on your preferred arrow shape (there two single-headed arrows to choose from).
4. On the canvas, drag the mouse-pointer from where you want the arrow to start to where you want it to end.
5. Style to taste (⌘7 to show/hide the Styles palette).

2018-07-27 00:46:03

Thanks for Sharing Such an nice article.

2021-11-22 03:42:35

Does anyone else find it surprising that there isn't a proper arrow tool in this program, which is otherwise very comprehensive? Or am I missing something?

2021-11-22 11:17:28

by OJB 2021-11-22 01:42:35 Does anyone else find it surprising that there isn't a proper arrow tool in this program, which is otherwise very comprehensive? Or am I missing something?
Pixelmator Pro does have a smart arrow shape that you can customize but I believe you're referring to something else? Can you think of any examples of the arrow tools you like in other apps?

2022-05-20 21:55:17

I have PRO and I cannot find the arrow tool anywhere?

2022-05-20 22:01:19

Ignore that last message, I have found it, however they are not the easiest objects to move around, once placed.

2022-05-23 08:16:18

by Garry Miller 2022-05-20 19:01:19 Ignore that last message, I have found it, however they are not the easiest objects to move around, once placed.
What in particular are you having trouble moving? For objects that aren't easy to click (very thin lines, for example), you might be better off turning off automatic layer selection. You can find more info on that here: https://www.pixelmator.com/support/guid ... r-pro/662/