Pixelmator Pro 2.4 introduces color adjustments and effects layers

Discuss the latest Pixelmator news.

2022-04-12 13:15:37

Pixelmator Pro 2.4 is now available, bringing color adjustments and effects layers, a completely redesigned Layers sidebar, over 200 beautiful new vector shapes, support for M1 Ultra, and more.

Check out the news on our blog.

2022-04-12 16:01:25

Thanks for another great update!

2022-04-12 16:07:51

🤙 outstanding update!

2022-04-12 16:53:12

Fabulous!

2022-04-12 17:27:37

Thanks! Looking forward to try it!

2022-04-12 17:46:22

Enjoy the additions! :red_heart:

2022-04-12 23:44:53

Keep up the great work.

2022-04-13 00:16:59

Thank you for the fantastic update! Since updating, however, I can no longer go to Pixelmator Pro through Photos. I get a notification that says "Couldn't communicate with a helper application." I have shut down both Photos and Pixelmator and also restarted my MacBook Pro, but the problem still exists. Hoping this can be quickly corrected as I use that function on most photos.

2022-04-13 04:17:52

Pixelmator Team strikes again… Some seriously Amazing New Features. Love that you added over 200 Awesome New Vector Shapes. I turn everyone I can on to Pixelmator Pro. Your Team just keeps making it better and better. Pretty sure by now loads of people have moved away from Adobe and you keep giving them more reasons to make the switch. Can’t wait to dive in and test out all the new features… Keep up the great work. Love you guys…

2022-04-13 06:13:01

Fantastic update!

I love the new layers, the new side bar and the new vector icons!

2022-04-13 08:20:33

by MacPix 2022-04-12 21:16:59 Thank you for the fantastic update! Since updating, however, I can no longer go to Pixelmator Pro through Photos. I get a notification that says "Couldn't communicate with a helper application." I have shut down both Photos and Pixelmator and also restarted my MacBook Pro, but the problem still exists. Hoping this can be quickly corrected as I use that function on most photos.
Pixelmator Pro 2.4.1 released today should sort it out. It was a bit of an oversight on our end. With the 2.4 update, we slightly changed Pixelmator Pro's internal architecture which made the Photos extension stop working. We'd love to hear if it works again with the 2.4.1 update for you.

And thanks everyone for the kind words!

2022-04-13 19:52:56

by Aurelija 2022-04-13 15:20:33
Pixelmator Pro 2.4.1 released today should sort it out. It was a bit of an oversight on our end. With the 2.4 update, we slightly changed Pixelmator Pro's internal architecture which made the Photos extension stop working. We'd love to hear if it works again with the 2.4.1 update for you.

And thanks everyone for the kind words!
Thank You!!! It works perfectly again! Your quick response is very much appreciated.

2022-04-14 01:28:05

by MacPix Thank you for the fantastic update! Since updating, however, I can no longer go to Pixelmator Pro through Photos. I get a notification that says "Couldn't communicate with a helper application." I have shut down both Photos and Pixelmator and also restarted my MacBook Pro, but the problem still exists. Hoping this can be quickly corrected as I use that function on most photos.
Glad to see they already have a fix for it!

2022-04-16 18:00:56

Thank you so much! 👌

2022-04-23 17:33:56

Hi! Tell me please what means the codename “Odesa”? Is it dedicated to Ukrainian city? Thank you

2022-04-25 12:22:57

by Ruslan Tereshchenko 2022-04-23 14:33:56 Hi! Tell me please what means the codename “Odesa”? Is it dedicated to Ukrainian city? Thank you
Yes, that's what it's inspired by – we have a colleague working remotely in Ukraine and, as a Lithuanian-based company, Russia's invasion of Ukraine has quite deeply affected all of us over the past two months, so the codename was chosen as an expression of support for Ukraine.

2022-05-08 22:06:00

Привет! Есть какой-нибудь учебный видео курс для этой программы? Много всяких интересных возможностей, но я не понимаю, как ими пользоваться

2022-05-09 16:15:40

Hi Hitch, this forum is English-only, hope that's alright with you. You can find our tutorials here.

2022-05-21 15:02:23

Just got the update with the new Photos browser. It's a game changer! Now I can get full quality portrait photos with masks or RAW pictures directly from iCloud Photos. No more exporting! Already used the color adjustments layer too! Did you guys work directly with Apple to implement this new Photos browser?

2022-05-23 08:23:19

by Zenith22 2022-05-21 12:02:23 Just got the update with the new Photos browser. It's a game changer! Now I can get full quality portrait photos with masks or RAW pictures directly from iCloud Photos. No more exporting! Already used the color adjustments layer too! Did you guys work directly with Apple to implement this new Photos browser?
Nice, glad to hear you like it! We didn't work with Apple on this actually. The reason why we've now been able to create a better browser is that, when we were working on the initial release of Pixelmator Pro, the PhotoKit framework was not available on macOS, so we used a different framework, which was much more limited. Then, when we created Pixelmator Photo for iPad, we created a PhotoKit-based browser, which we've now brought over to the Mac.

2022-05-23 21:12:02

One of the best updates I've every seen from you guys. :smile: The ability to unlink a mask is also a big one for me, so thanks for that.

One possible change, it may be more intuitive to combine the + button and the 'Insert a layer' button that is right next to it at the top of the layers panel, putting the 'Empty Later' option at the top - like you do in the plus button just above. I think that layered icon kind of like layer options. But that was just my first thought, I also think it looks good as is.

I'm really surprised at the quality of this update. Really looks like some thought and care went into the UI updates of the layers panel... unlike Adobe it feels like you guys actually care about making designers lives a little more fun and easier. Looks great, runs fast, seems more intuitive and easier to find what I need.

2022-05-24 17:50:49

Thanks for the kind words Dave! We did put in a lot of thought into the user experience. The + button is actually also new here - previously empty layers were essentially what you described, the first option in a list of layer types to create. We separated it onto its own button for the sake of convenience, as empty layers are probably the most used layer type and we think it feels really good to be able to create one with just a single click. Anyways, glad you're enjoying the update!