Unexpected (potentially dangerous) behavior when exporting images

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2022-05-28 16:39:29

Hi everyone,

first off, let me thank you for Pixelmator (Pro) which I generally couldn't be happier with. I love the app and its versatility. Although it still baffles me why it is obviously so difficult to add a simple "neon font" effect – maybe you could add this some time. Would be a time saver. :wink:

I noticed an unexpected behavior when exporting images that does/could lead to data loss and I think you should fix it.
Situation is as follows:

I create or edit an image that I store in the Pixelmator .pxd-file-format. I usually work with these images in a larger resolution (e.g. 2800 x 280 pixels). When I'm done editing, I sometimes need these files in a different format for publishing, JPEG or PNG for example. But I also need to use them at half the resolution. This is why I:

1. save the Pixelmator-file,
2. resize the image (using CMD+Alt+I) to 1400 x 140 pixels,
3. export the image (using CMD+Shift+E).

The file then gets exported (in the correct resolution). However, the original Pixelmator-file also gets saved in the resized resolution!
If you perform all these steps in a row and haven't made a backup of the Pixelmator-file beforehand you will lose the original resolution-file without being able to retrieve it.

In my opinion that save shouldn't happen with the original source-file. It could be optional but right now there is no prompt when doing so.
Please change this behavior – it already has led to me losing several original-resolution files which (if you have to go back to the source and change something) can be very tedious since you have to recreate everything from scratch.

Thank you – and keep up the great work with Pixelmator!
Best regards
VSG

2022-05-28 16:53:05

Sorry, I just saw that this issue has already been reported here.

Still, I think Pixelmator shouldn't behave like that.

Best regards
VSG