'q' keyboard shortcut with Dvorak keyboard

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2020-09-07 18:39:55

(Pixelmator Pro 1.7.1)

Maybe it's just me (though, I don't know how it could happen), but when using the Dvorak keyboard layout the shortut for 'q' (which is the physical key labelled 'x') performs the "Switch Colors" action, just like the US layout (instead of switching to the Quick Selection tool). Funny enough, the 'x' key (physical key 'b') also does the "Switch Colors" shortcut (to be clear, this is the expected behavior - it's funny only in that both keys perform the same shortcut). I haven't come across any other keys behaving unexpectedly. When entering text in a text box inside Pixelmator Pro, the key produces the expected 'q' character. So, it appears limited to the shortcut behavior only. Hopefully it's easily reproducible and not some manifestation on my laptop only.

2020-09-08 14:18:41

Hey Bryan, just reported this to the devs, I'm not sure we have a Dvorak keyboard on hand to repro, so we'll have to get hold of one. :pray:

2020-09-08 14:23:46

Looks like we won't need it, the issue is clear now. :blush:

2022-05-29 00:58:00

Is this an issue again?
I have the macOS keyboard layout set to Dvorak (and not the Dvorak-Command Qwerty one), and am not using a Dvorak keyboard but the built-in keyboard of the MBA.
Some the shortcut keys correspond to the keys on their original positions. For example, E switches to default colors, which is placed where the D in Qwerty is placed. B correctly switches to paint brush.

Pixelmator Pro, Version 2.4.3 Odesa
macOS 12.4 (21F79)

Thanks!

2023-05-13 14:43:30

Just reported this again here:
viewtopic.php?t=22901

If it wasn't an issue before, it is an issue now. I'm guessing you figured this out but just in case: you don't need a special keyboard to run Dvorak. It is a software layout accessible in the keyboard settings.