Shortcut to Close All Groups

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2022-06-25 18:33:04

Photoshop has a way to close all groups at once, which I use often.

The small arrow by the group/folder, that you use to open or collapse it... when you hold command and click it, it does the same to every folder at that hierarchy.

So, if you close a main folder while holding command, all folders are immediately collapsed. If you open while press command, all are immediately opened. If you go in a folder inside another folder and do the same, every folder within that folder will do the corresponding action.

2022-06-28 07:12:08

Noted! I'm adding your +1 for this feature. :ok_hand:

Edit: Unless you mean you'd like to close all nested groups within a layer group, which you can already do by Option-clicking the group disclosure arrow.

2022-06-28 23:15:29

I did not know about that.

The way I was describing it, I was wanting to close all groups at the main level with one click. So, option click a root level folder, and all folders collapse (or expand) across the doc. That's also how Photoshop does it, which I use often.

Now that I know the trick you mentioned, I'm putting all of my groups into one main group, and then alt closing the parent folder, and then opening it back up. When working on really large documents, if I try to click on a text layer, and accidentally click the bg image, it auto choose that layer, which opens every group it's nested in. I find myself closing groups constantly. Over and over. Seems like every one of my groups gets opened within just a few minutes.

--

Another request, and this may belong somewhere else, is I'd like it if you could NOT choose a masked layer on it's see through parts. Can't tell you how many times I've tried to click on a layer, but a giant image is covering it... but I just didn't realize because it was masked. I would love if a mask made an object unclickable in it's see-through parts, that would be amazing. So if the alpha is 0, it's not clickable.

2022-06-29 12:41:01

Ah, I see. I think I now understand your workflow fully — thanks for elaborating. In that case, the Option-click only partially solves your issue. We'll look into how we can improve the general group behavior in Pixelmator Pro. In the meantime, I can suggest turning off Auto Select for a more predictable behavior with multi-layered documents. With Auto Select turned off, you'll only be able to move the layer that's selected in the layers sidebar.

As for the mask selection behavior — Pixelmator Pro should let you select right through the masked layer if you don't have the mask itself selected. In other words, it's expected that if you select a mask directly, you'll probably want to move or resize it. Please correct me if that's not the behavior you had in mind.