Search for shapes library + include 2000 open-source vector shapes from tabler-icons

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2022-05-01 20:12:33

Hi!

Two quick items to suggest:

1.) It would be handy if the Shapes area included a little search box, and each shape had keywords attached to make it easier to find items. I know what you're thinking: "There just aren't that many shapes". But what if...

2.) You arranged permission with tabler-icons.io to include their nearly 2000 open-source shapes right within in Pixelmator!

(At the very least having a shapes-search within Pixelmator makes it possible for tabler-icons, FontAwesome, etc. to create substantial ready-to-import libraries they could choose to distribute themselves.)

-Colin

2022-06-28 13:46:29

Hey Colin, I just noticed your post, and coincidentally, we've just released Pixelmator Pro 2.4.4 today, with a brand new shapes browser that I think might enjoy. You can now search for shapes by name (it, indeed, took a bit of brain racking to name them all :sweat_smile:) and manage your shape collections. If you update, feel free to let us know what you think!

2022-06-28 14:15:59

I know, I saw! You guys are the best. THE BEST! :party_face:

Though... *importing* shapes seems to be a bit tricky. Is the only import format the same as the export format? (I was okay up to all the XML files but then decoding the image content and seeing the JSON-like data ("versionSpecifiContainer", etc.) made me think this could be challenging to recreate for import.

I guess there's no "import SVG" to a new collection or tool that creates shape libraries?

(Still excited for search though! :-) )

2022-06-29 19:47:33

Hey, that was fast — nice! SVG import wasn't on the roadmap for this particular update but we understand it's a limitation in certain workflows and we're open to the idea of expanding the list of supported shape formats. We'll need some more in-depth research first, but I'd say that would be a logical next step for the shapes browser.