Pixelmator Pro Zoom Slider missing

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2022-07-18 04:44:38

Just bought the latest 2.4.5 Pixelmator Pro for MacOS (I use Catalina). I've been using it for a few weeks with no issues. Love the convenience of the Zoom Slider at the top left side inside the menu bar. Today that slider disappeared and was replaced with the old numerical Zoom (%) selector pulldown menu in its place. Maybe the fix is so obvious that google and this forum haven't had a single person post on this but I can not find a way to revert back to the original Zoom Slider. Anyone know how to get the slider back?

2022-07-18 08:57:17

Make a right click on the Toolbar to Customize Toolbar... Here it´s the Zoom Slider by default - never adjusted on its own afaik:

2022-07-18 09:28:30

Unfortunately, I don't have that Slider option available in my Customization Toolbox. I had looked there and knew it should be there but even resetting it to Default Settings did not help make it appear. But thank you for trying, Ellen.

When I right click on that top menu, this is all I get. It looks nothing like the customization toolset you're getting.

2022-07-18 10:24:54

Please try again on the right spot:
Or go from here:

2022-07-18 10:27:42

OK, I checked this out on our new Mac which has Pixelmator Pro 2.4.5 running the latest version of Monterey. It has the slider still. I right clicked on the menu bar and Voila! The "Customize Toolbar" popup came up as it should. So this looks like a Pixelmator Pro bug on my Mac running Catalina.

Here's what I should be seeing after Right Clicking the menu bar.

2022-07-18 10:30:15

Correct: now choose "Customize Toolbar…" to drag the zoom slider back into place.

2022-07-18 10:38:31

by EllenM Please try again on the right spot:
Ellen it doesn't seem to matter where I click on that bar..I only get the popup you see with the 8 buttons and the checkmarks next to it showing up and NO Customize Options. On my other mac I can click in the same locations on the bar and the Customization Options pop up as they should on my older Catalina Mac.

The Windows > Customize Layout doesn't help either as the screenshot below shows.

2022-07-18 10:39:49

by EllenM Correct: now choose "Customize Toolbar…" to drag the zoom slider back into place.
I did...see the issue now?

On my Monterey Mac I could do the Customize Toolbar at any time without going to the very top Windows menu.

2022-07-18 10:46:43

Please check out the 2.7MB GIF:
https://postimg.cc/CRsqzYtB

2022-07-18 10:50:58

by EllenM Please check out the 2.7MB GIF:
https://postimg.cc/CRsqzYtB
My Monterey Mac works just like yours does in this short video you provided.
My Catalina Mac did until today. Now the Customize Toolbar option is defunct and can no longer be activated. :(

The option disappeared the same time the Zoom Slider reverted to the Numerical (%) Zoom options Pulldown Menu

2022-07-18 11:06:33

Ellen, here's a 5mb gif showing how it looks for me Right Clicking on that menu.
https://i.postimg.cc/SN3bdHJh/Screen-Re ... -47-AM.gif

2022-07-18 11:12:23

Can you check which Layout you´re on? Main menu: Window->Workspace Layout:?
You´re still don´t grapping Customize Toolbar but Layout instead. Why?

2022-07-18 11:15:25

by EllenM Can you check which Layout you´re on? Main menu: Window->Workspace Layout:?
It Says "Default"

2022-07-18 11:21:16

I wonder why you have Crop and Slice tools in the upper tool shelf - that´s not the default arrangement. So you once was able to Customize the toolbar. Please use then Window->Customize Toolbar…".

2022-07-18 11:23:43

by EllenM Can you check which Layout you´re on? Main menu: Window->Workspace Layout:?
You´re still don´t grapping Customize Toolbar but Layout instead. Why?
Not sure what you're asking me but I think you asked...

I'm still not grabbing Customize Toolbar but Layout instead.

Ellen, the reason as I have tried to explain is because...That option only comes up on our New Mac which is in another part of our home not in our office. My Catalina mac will NOT bring up the required popup That allows the user to CUSTOMIZE TOOLBAR

2022-07-18 11:28:24

As you will see in EVERY screenshot provided on my Catalina Mac...None have shown that Customize Toolbar popup because only this popup shows nows when I Right Click anywhere on the menu.

2022-07-18 11:34:25

by EllenM I wonder why you have Crop and Slice tools in the upper tool shelf - that´s not the default arrangement. So you once was able to Customize the toolbar. Please use then Window->Customize Toolbar…".
I had never edited any of those tools. I have used this app very little in the last week. I wondered why those were there too. I thought it was a strange option set. Something is not right with the menu itself. I have 8 buttons available to me. I can only turn those 8 buttons 'On or Off' until I find a fix for the missing Customize Toolbar popup.

2022-07-18 11:54:58

That´s really weird. I´d reinstall from the App Store - but deinstall first completely with free AppCleaner.app.
(And while Pixelmator Pro requires Catalina as the minimum I wonder what Mac you have it running.)

2022-07-18 12:17:54

by EllenM (And while Pixelmator Pro requires Catalina as the minimum I wonder what Mac you have it running.)
Its a MacMini Late 2012 16GB Ram/500GB SSD Runs perfectly. This is a glitch with Pixelmator Pro. It's not likely a hardware issue.

2022-07-19 07:12:45

Does a reinstall helped?

2022-07-19 10:18:57

I uninstalled Pix Pro several times using various methods. First, I used the free AppCleaner, then Apple's Lauchpad uninstall method, & finally I used MacKeeper. In every instance after reinstalling Pix Pro from Apple's App Store, my recent documents still showed in the startup window, my custom settings, and this very persistent 'menu customization' glitch was still very apparent.

I had hoped that by using these methods that one of them would have cleaned ALL the hidden files so that the Application would've launched just like it did originally when I installed it a week or so ago. But nothing was back to its default.

2022-07-19 11:05:37

Hey there Susan, I just came across this thread and I'm a bit puzzled. Are you sure you were using the Zoom slider with Pixelmator Pro on macOS Catalina? The Zoom slider is available starting with macOS Big Sur as it takes advantage of the features introduced in that particular OS version. I believe you're mistaking this functionality with your macOS Monterey Mac, as you wouldn't really be able to use the slider on macOS Catalina...

2022-07-19 12:27:07

by Aurelija ..., as you wouldn't really be able to use the slider on macOS Catalina...
That's what I was afraid of.

2022-07-20 01:01:37

Final Update: As it turns out, the Zoom slider and apparently the ability to change that top menu is only available in MacOS 11 and higher. I obviously made the mistake of thinking I had seen that feature on my older Catalina computer. I was mistaken as it is only available on my Monterey computer. Below is part of the response from the Pixelmator Pro tech team.
The zoom slider as well as toolbar customization are only available in macOS 11 or later as these features rely on certain macOS frameworks that aren't available in earlier versions, so it's a little strange to hear that you were using the zoom slider on macOS Catalina. I see you're using a macOS Catalina system and a macOS Monterey system - I think you may have mixed up which Mac you were working with when working with the Zoom Slider.

So there it is folks…my mistake thinking I saw that Zoom Slider feature on my Catalina Mac😗

Thank you so much for your valuable time, EllenM. And thank you for pointing out my error too, Aurelija. People like you two make the world a better place!