How do you import and export an EDR image to sRGB and P3?

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2022-08-07 23:41:27

I am working with RAW images on a wide gamut MacBook Pro screen. Here is a screenshot of an image I took last night on first import into Pixelmator Pro. You can see that the lava river is blown out, it displays as white:

Now, being RAW the original data is there in the file somewhere, so I switch EDR mode ON:

Aaah. Better. The lava river is now yellow/orange.

Now I would like to export this image to JPEG in the sRGB colour space, retaining the yellow/orange river. How do you do this? Every export I make, to sRGB or to P3 clips the river to white again. Here they are:

How do export these images and compress the colour range successfully (map the gamut (?)) so that even displayed in sRGB (like nearly every web browser, for example), I still get an orange lava river? What am I missing?

I have tried this in an application called RAW Power (trial version), and its exports do appear to map to sRGB:

In case you want to test this, the original RAW file is downloadable here:

stephen.band/test/PANA4186.RW2

---

An additional question... why does EDR mode disable when you add a second layer to a Pixelmator document. How do we go about combining multiple RAW images in EDR mode?

2022-09-07 12:26:18

Hi there. There's definitely a lot of room for expansion in the current EDR functionality in Pixelmator Pro. At the moment, EDR mode will let you view and edit images in 10-bit color, but you won't be able to export them with the same dynamic range. Same goes for new layers - at the moment they cannot contain any EDR/HDR data, so the EDR mode is disabled.

Again, this is something we'll definitely be looking at in the future.

2023-02-16 14:05:53

I try to find a complete HDR-workflow from iPhone14 or GH6 via Pixelmator Pro via Motion via FCPX to a HEVC-10bit-HLG video, running on a MacBookPro or e.g. on a Panasonic TV TX-65GZW2004,supporting HDR (PQ) and distributing via YouTube.
Several small islands support HDR, but where is the complete workflow???
Problems start at color-chooser where some support only integers 0...255, some floats only from 0.0...1.0, some floats 0.0...>1.0 (needed for HDR!). At the moment I see only one way: Work in Pixelmator Pro and Motion in SDR and finally in FCPX expand the brightness to peaks of 400 cd/m2.
Are there better ideas?

2023-07-28 09:37:31

+1 :) It would be great the EDR/HDR editing/export support on iOS as well. I find it puzzling why so many camera/photo editing apps don't support exporting HDR photos, considering that iPhones shoot HDR photos by default. The difference can be pretty amazing when viewed in Photos.app (or any other compatible app) on EDR/HDR device.

So far the only app I use that got it right is NOMO RAW (my fav 3rd party camera app, I use it to shoot in ProRAW (internally), take advantage of the pipeline (turning NR and sharpness off, applying a preset and automatically save the result in HDR HEIF automatically (even in 48MP, on newer phones)