Pixelmator Pro - Pixelmator Photo - Pixelmator iOS

A place to talk about anything else with other Pixelmator users.

2022-08-18 17:56:46

I have Pixelmator Photo and Pixelmator iOS on my iPhone and iPad. I bought Pixelmator iOS a long time ago and haven't really used it in a few years.

I have Pixelmator Pro on my Mac. Pixelmator Photo will soon be available for macOS.

I guess my question is, on macOS, what is the difference between the Pro and Photo versions and why would I use one instead of the other?

TIA!

2022-08-19 13:58:46

Hi, fair question! The plan, for now, is for Pixelmator Photo for Mac to offer the seamless photo editing experience on macOS as it currently does on iPhone and iPad. It will very much remain a photography-focused editor. macOS Photos library integration is one big thing to look forward to, also in-app batch image processing, and more. Essentially, Pixelmator Photo for Mac will offer a way to quickly and easily edit large volumes of photos at a time. As for Pixelmator Pro, if you own a copy, you've probably already created designs with it, added text, or shapes to images, and essentially focused on a single project at a time rather than processed multiple images. That's the fundamental difference between the two apps. In the future, once Pixelmator Photo for iPad is released, we'd love to create a more explicit comparison of the two apps on our website.

2022-08-19 16:01:58

Thank you for your reply. It sounds like on macOS, Photo will be oriented toward batch processing and Pro is better suited for my workflow.

I'm a serious amateur who developed my own B&W film and prints for 20 years and then switched to digital in the early 2000s. I shoot RAW most of the time and I work on just one photo at a time. I like to adjust things like contrast, exposure, color saturation, clarity/dehaze (which only seems to be available in Adobe products), do digital dodging and burning, cropping, and perspective correction.

Thanks again.