Brush tool auto-creating new layers if style is applied to current one is killing my workflow entirely

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2022-08-08 08:34:49

Hi there guys!

(Disclaimer: I've got macOS Ventura beta installed, so I'm not sure if it's an intended change on your part. If it is, seriously why? If it isn't please take this into account to revert it.)

As a guy who uses Undo almost as many times as draws a line, new Brush tool behaviour –specifically, creating a new empty layer every time it's asked to paint over a 'styled' layer– is deeply affecting my workflow.

So let's say I'm colouring a layer that's not the uppermost one, using the Brush tool. I'm not sure about the shade I've chosen, so I swap to the Style tool, select a filling of my liking and go back to the Brush tool, to draw a stroke to fill in some pixels.

Before the current situation (macOS Ventura? Pixelmator Pro? Both?), I drew on my 'styled' layer. I saw the wrong shade as I painted, then the 'styled' color took over as soon as I lifted my pencil. If I messed up, I could simply undo and continue working on said layer.

Right now, Pixelmator Pro creates a new empty layer for me, unprompted, and it logically lacks the Style tool presets. Worse even, if I mess up, and I undo, the new empty layer is destroyed, and I'm kicked out of where I was working because the uppermost layer is automatically selected. It's a disaster waiting to happen, if you're not careful and keep working over a finished layer. But tougher luck if it's a group or if it's a locked layer, as the Brush tool deselects by itself.

So, instead of
- Brushing - Style tool - Brush tool - Brushing - Seeing the 'styled' results - Undo - Brushing

now the user has to do
- Brushing - Style tool - User-created new layer - Brush tool - Select the 'styled' color shade - Brushing - Seeing the results - Undo - Brushing - [Future: Merge/Group layers]

to avoid the mess default behaviour produces:
- Brushing - Style tool - Brush tool - Brushing+automatic new layer - Not seeing the 'styled' results - Undo - Getting kicked out of wherever you were working - User-created new layer - Positioning the layer - Brushing - [Future: Merge/Group layers]

Imagine the lot of layers you end up with if now you want to change the shade again, before finishing painting. And a third time?

Thanks for your time and effort!

2022-08-19 10:34:34

Support. This is an unreasonable and maddening problem. I hope it can be solved as soon as possible.

2022-08-19 11:52:04

Hey guys, I've tried this workflow but can't repro the issue on my end that easily. I have a feeling that I might be missing something... It would be a big help if could you email us a screencast of this issue you're seeing at support@pixelmator.com. Thanks in advance!

2022-08-19 18:23:30

Hi, Aurelija!

Sorry my original post was haft a report half a rant, some of my phrasing has been eating me away.

I've just uploaded a video to YouTube, https://youtu.be/WKRIFYYZR58, where you can see it in action. I've used KeyCastr to keep live track of the keyboard shortcuts I've used.

Hope it helps!

2022-08-27 16:03:49

Hello nioone (and everyone else that's interested):

I've been told via mail by Simonas this is a stopgap, and thus the expected behavior for the meantime, as it prevents "a more serious bug that would sometimes occur when working with the Paint and Style tools" from happening. They are working on getting the old behavior back, but "it'll take some time" tho.