Saving Photos

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2022-09-05 04:22:46

So I've always opened photos in Pixelmator Pro from within Apple's Photos app by right clicking a photo and going to "Open With" and then Pixelmator. Upon making changes such as healing or repairs, I have always been able to just simply press Command+S and it would simply overwrite/modify the original photo in the Photos app.

Now when I perform the same command, a save dialog now prompts me wanting to export the photo to a location as a new file. This just starting happening maybe in the past week and I can't figure out why and obviously this is not the route I want to take. It requires me to save it as a new photo then import into photos and then delete the previous version. It's just not efficient. Not sure if the recent update changed this saving behavior or what.

2022-09-05 07:53:09

Have you tried: instead of right clicking double click to open image in Apple´s Photo App then click "Edit" - then find "Extensions" (Circle with 3 dots) choose Pixelmator Pro - edit - save away? Works here every time. From my knowledge macOS will keep original plus edited one in case you want to restore your edits later in time.

2022-09-05 08:12:49

Hey guys, this is a known bug in Pixelmator Pro 2.4.6. An update fixing it will be released soon! And yes, as a workaround you can use the Pixelmator Pro Photos extension as Ellen described.

2022-09-05 09:50:00

by EllenM Have you tried: instead of right clicking double click to open image in Apple´s Photo App then click "Edit" - then find "Extensions" (Circle with 3 dots) choose Pixelmator Pro - edit - save away? Works here every time. From my knowledge macOS will keep original plus edited one in case you want to restore your edits later in time.
Not the same thing Ellen - the Edit With function is completely different.

2022-09-05 09:51:19

by simonasd Hey guys, this is a known bug in Pixelmator Pro 2.4.6. An update fixing it will be released soon! And yes, as a workaround you can use the Pixelmator Pro Photos extension as Ellen described.
Thanks Simon - would have been good to get a response to the same query from yesterday.

Might also be a good idea to let people know? It's a major workflow issue for some.

2022-09-05 12:37:50

by simonasd Hey guys, this is a known bug in Pixelmator Pro 2.4.6. An update fixing it will be released soon! And yes, as a workaround you can use the Pixelmator Pro Photos extension as Ellen described.
I assumed so. Command+S now replicates Shift+Command+S. Glad to know it's just a bug and not an intentional workflow change.