MacOS keeps opening the old Pixelmator not Pixelmator Pro

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2023-03-23 10:24:39

When I download an image in Firefox and open it from the downloads folder it will always open in Pixelmator not Pixelmator Pro.

If I double click on an image file elsewhere they correctly open in Pro, but in Finder, the icons are for Pixelmator not Pixelmator Pro.
This can be hidden if I turn on icon previews, but selecting Get Info always has the Pixelmator icon not the Pixelmator Pro one.

Im not sure if this is a macOS problem, a firefox issue or a Pixelmator bug but it seems to be related to the way the files are registered.

Things I have tried:

Changing file associations in firefox.
Rebooting
Changing the open-with properties in finder: Open all with Pixelmator Pro
Reset the Local & User domains with lsregister
lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain user -domain system -v

2023-03-24 14:55:47

Hi there! Does this issue occur when opening images from any location in Finder, not just the Downloads folder? What about from your iCloud Drive? And could you send one of the files in question over to us at support@pixelmator.com so we could take a closer look?

2023-03-24 16:20:32

OK I think I found a fix.

I created and saved a .jpg file in Pixelmator Pro.

Open the file in Firefox using File, Open.

Save the file to the downloads folder.

Open the file by clicking on it in the Firefox downloads list - it correctly opens in Pixelmator Pro.

Now returning to the original website and saving another .jpg image, it correctly opens from the Firefox downloads list in Pixelmator Pro.

Im guessing Firefox just remembers the last graphics editor used and sticks to that even when the OS file associations point to something different.

2023-03-24 16:38:12

If you want to limit your images to Pixelmator Pro you can select the image, then ⌘i, and go down to "open with", pulldown to change to Pro then change all check box - will open all those type of images in Pro.

2023-03-24 18:50:08

by mccoytest If you want to limit your images to Pixelmator Pro you can select the image, then ⌘i, and go down to "open with", pulldown to change to Pro then change all check box - will open all those type of images in Pro.
If you read my first post, that was one of the first things I tried.