New user workflow

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2023-03-04 16:00:26

Hello, I just installed photo on my iPad Pro and have a few questions on how it works and maybe an easier workflow. Right now I will use the app in this way..1.Take pictures with mirrorless camera 2. download images to a file 3. open file in Pix app and edit 4. save final edits in a separate file to upload later. My question is when I edit and select done in Pix that edited file is saved in the same file folder as the original pic but with a .photo, so now I have 2 pics doesn't that add more space to my storage? The other question seems to be the amount of steps to save a final edited pic to jpg. Right now its 1. click ... menu to export 2.click format 3.click share 4.click destination folder. Is there a way if I click save it automatically saves as jpg and I just need a destination ? Thanks for any help

2023-03-27 09:07:16

Hi,

My workflow is a little different, as I use the Photos app for my image management (and mostly editing).

What you have described there is a traditional workflow setup, and basic OS file manipulation. There is no other way around that really.

Depending on the file type you're shooting with (Raw or JPG etc), depends on the exact workflow, however, I'd treat JPEGs the same as Raws, in that I would only ever save a copy/duplicate file to edit with, leaving the original intact. If you edit JPEGs, and use 'Save', then you usually overwrite the same file, so you'll lose the original unedited version.

Pixelmator has the capability, along with most apps these days, to edit non-destructively (there's loads of info out there about that, it's been around for many years now). This means that initially you'll apply your edits to an imported image, but you're not applying them directly to that image (this is not possible with Raw images anyway), instead, you're applying a set of edits, which are displayed live, and your editing data is saved in a separate data file. Sometimes this can be embedded into the image file (like with a DNG), or as a sidecar file, such as the '.photo' file you're seen. These can take many different forms - sometimes they're a basic set of data, and they are applied as each image is viewed (slowest way, but most economical on storage use), or more usually now, they are saved as a set of the data and various preview images (fastest, but heavy on storage usage).

You'll note that the .photo file can get really big, this is because it stores lots of data, and various image versions for faster viewing, and re-editing. You can choose not to save this, and turn off non-destructive editing in Pixelmator. Or what I do is to use it until I've finished my editing, and then delete them later.

In any case, you need to Export/Save as.. a final version of that image. If you're using the traditional file storage system, then you will need to do this for any images you edit, and as you say, choose a location and name to save it to.

However, If you use an Asset Manager, such as Apple Photos (depending on how you open it in Pixelmator, there are a few choices here), the final edited version gets saved into the library for you (as a Hi Res Preview linked to the original image in the library), with just a click to accept the saved image. The .photo file get saved into an external folder, but you can delete those later if you wish.

I'd suggest doing some research on a non-destructive workflow, and decide how it can fit into your needs, and preferences. Although it is a bit of a can of worms to be fair.

This is a good starting point:
https://tidbits.com/2019/06/14/the-ins- ... c-and-ios/

Cheers

Andy.

2023-04-09 21:50:25

Ok thanks for reply. Have another question I have a raw photo in a file and when I click on it to edit I get the .photo of that file which I understand as pix photo copy and it says raw on header whenever I open it. And when I share it to photos and go and edit it in pix photos it still says raw on header which I understand. Now if I were to take original raw photo from file and directly share to photos am I still editing a raw type or jpeg copy in the pix photos app?I am just trying to create a simple workflow i would rather not have 2 copies of the same file in my file folder i.e. a raw and .photo file. Image

2023-04-09 21:56:21

Here’s the raw header. Image

2023-04-11 07:14:45

I'm not entirely understanding what you're doing here, as I don't use the Files method at all, I only access my images from within the Photos Library.

However, whatever system you do use, if you're working with Raw images, then you will end up with multiple versions of the same image. That's the nature shooting Raw, as you can't directly edit a Raw image in any software (I believe there may be a few exceptions, but we'll stick to the normal average principle here), so when you edit, you have to create a new rendered copy, which will be (usually) be a standard image format, such as JPEG or TIFF.

Most of the apps that use their own proprietary sidecar files (as with Pixelmator Photo, Affinity Photo etc), you can also end up with a large 'wrapper' file that contains many elements that app needs to operate it's non-destructive workflow. This can contain anything from just metadata, to all sorts of stuff like metadata, a copy of the original Raw file, a rendered TIFF, and a bunch of rendered JPEG Previews and thumbnails. Hence why the .photo file can get really large.

This actually happens with whatever workflow setup you use. If you do this manually, you will have the original Raws + sidecar files + final image, and you'll need to manage those yourself (usually into a folder structure). If you use a DAM, in my case Apple Photos, all these files are still there, but hidden by the GUI of Photos, and managed for you, so you'll generally only see the final rendered image on screen, the reset are hidden away on the database system.

So, if you want to re-edit an image that has already been edited, then you have some options, and it can get really complicated and confusing, depending on what method you use for your workflow.

In the file based system, you can pick what you want to edit. So you can start afresh from the Raw file, and save as new different versions, and end up with more copies of the same image with different edits applied. Or, you can reopen the already edited image, which as I understand with Pixelmator Photo, will also reopen the previous editing data. That can be amended and resaved, overwriting the original editing data. Or you could resave as a new version, and keep the old editing data.

In Apple Photos it's a similar workflow, but there are different steps needed depending on what you want to achieve. If you open an edited image in Pixelmator Photos (by using the direct Library access system) that has already been edited by it, and you have kept the sidecar files, then you should still see a Raw and the edits applied, which can be modified (a 'link' icon is displayed for this).

If you've deleted the sidecar file, then you'd get a rendered JPEG instead (it shows a plain 'edited' icon instead).

If you want to edit the Raw in that case, then you have to use the 'Revert to Original' option first. You can create a duplicate in Photos, then revert that, so you can end up with two versions (I do this a lot to create B&W versions).

It's certainly a bit of a minefield, but it's a matter of working out what processes are working with different apps, and finding out where in that workflow you need to be to get what you need.

2023-04-15 18:37:02

I’ve got a small workflow question I’ll throw in here. Traditionally in Darkroom or Lightroom I like to go through a batch of photos and do the crop, then come back through and do the rest of the edits. Then do one large export at the end. I can kinda do this in Photomator, but it’s pretty tedious. It wants to export every time you leave a photo. Is there a way to save your edits for a batch export like in the Darkroom app?

2023-04-20 12:42:33

Still experimenting, but you can select multiple photo’s when browsing from Photomator in Apple Photo’s or in the file browser. After selecting you can choose “edit” and a window will appear with some “standard” actions” that will be applied to all selected photos, however when you click on more there are numerous workflows predefined, and you can create your own workflow. Looks very promising and powerful.
HtH
MacGB

2023-04-21 09:36:02

Yeah, there’s no way around that Allow dialogue. It’s part of the system built into Photos, which makes you confirm changes each time you make them to any file. Unfortunately this does mean clicking it on each edited image. As MacGB says, you can use a batch process and need to only click Allow once. But that does only work for either automated or saved workflow edits, you wouldn’t be able to individually edit images, then send them to Photos as a single save. As far as I’ve found no apps do this any differently, but that’s because the limitation is on the Apple System side of things.

To be fair, I’m happy about that, as it protects the photos library better, and it can be a little fragile if messed with by third party apps too much.

Even if you try editing outside photos, then exporting/importing, I don’t think that saves much. It just has a more cumbersome process, and you lose many of the benefits of linking directly to the Photos library.

Personally, I’ve got used to the Allow button, and accept it as part of the workflow now (also appreciating the need for it to exist).

Cheers