AI Generative Fill

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2023-05-23 16:34:14

Is it realistic to add something like the new AI Generative Fill that was just added to the latest Photoshop beta?

2023-05-26 15:44:47

Asked for the same feature in Photomator for Mac. It would make either or both Pixelmator apps great.

2023-05-26 16:59:59

AI Generative fill is actually leveraging their backend GPU driven Adobe Firefly. Unfortunately, I can't see Pixelmator implementing something like this without a subscription model.

2023-05-27 07:54:06

by scpedicini AI Generative fill is actually leveraging their backend GPU driven Adobe Firefly. Unfortunately, I can't see Pixelmator implementing something like this without a subscription model.
I quit Adobe years ago because of the subscription thing and the competition at the time was very good. But now Adobe is pulling ahead in so many areas I am seriously thinking of subscribing again.

You can play with the tech for FREE here: https://firefly.adobe.com/upload/inpaint

2023-05-28 15:48:47

@Lysander,

yeah pretty much the same reason for me. I stopped using Photoshop after the last non-subscription version CS6, but some of the new stuff (neural filters, Firefly) might force me back which is a shame.

Photoshop also has some basic features that Pixelmator still doesn't have:
- Can't use mouse scroll wheel or touch pad to adjust all tools sizes and/or softness (incredibly tedious to right-click and drag a slider wheel in Pixelmator)
- No content aware fill at all (Repair is *NOT* the same thing)
- No way to drag/move selection boxes (without dragging the contents)

2023-05-30 12:57:47

by scpedicini - No way to drag/move selection boxes (without dragging the contents)
Sure you can - move cursor into selection box till the "moving hand" icon appears while "New" is enabled - hold cmd key down and cursor will turn into rotation mode at the corners of selection - hold additional shift 15° increments:

2023-05-30 18:44:59

This feature will be a game changer, also making it difficult for most of us to who still edit manual. I'll stick to Pixelmator and hope, this wont affect my freelancing work.

2023-05-31 14:53:02

Hey everyone!

We're already using machine learning to enhance the quality of our tools, and now we're exploring the application of generative art using a similar approach. Our machine-learning features work directly on the device, and we want to continue in this direction. However, generative art places significant demands on resources, which is why we are eagerly waiting for more powerful devices. 🙏

2023-05-31 15:30:11

Thank you for that update! For clarification, you might limit some of the machine-learning features to only "more powerful devices"? Meaning they won't be compatible with something like my 2019 Mac Pro and would only be compatible with M3 and later? Which is why you are waiting and not implementing before then?
by Samanta Hey everyone!

We're already using machine learning to enhance the quality of our tools, and now we're exploring the application of generative art using a similar approach. Our machine-learning features work directly on the device, and we want to continue in this direction. However, generative art places significant demands on resources, which is why we are eagerly waiting for more powerful devices. 🙏

2023-06-01 07:35:11

by CraigK Thank you for that update! For clarification, you might limit some of the machine-learning features to only "more powerful devices"? Meaning they won't be compatible with something like my 2019 Mac Pro and would only be compatible with M3 and later? Which is why you are waiting and not implementing before then?
I don't really know such technical details just yet. Thinking about some currently available machine-learning features in Photomator and Pixelmator Pro, they do work on older devices but are slightly slower. However, generative art is extremely resource-demanding, so we'll see. Hang in there!

2023-06-01 07:52:13

by Samanta
I don't really know such technical details just yet. Thinking about some currently available machine-learning features in Photomator and Pixelmator Pro, they do work on older devices but are slightly slower. However, generative art is extremely resource-demanding, so we'll see. Hang in there!
Since Adobe's new Generative Fill feature was trained on hundreds of millions of Adobe Stock photos do you see any way in which Pixelamator has the resources to do a project like that? Or will future AI advancements put comparable features out of reach for Pixelmator users who do not want to pay Adobe?

I see competing with companies like Adobe as a very high bar for small firms like Pixelmator.

2023-06-01 10:37:05

by Lysander
Since Adobe's new Generative Fill feature was trained on hundreds of millions of Adobe Stock photos do you see any way in which Pixelamator has the resources to do a project like that? Or will future AI advancements put comparable features out of reach for Pixelmator users who do not want to pay Adobe?

I see competing with companies like Adobe as a very high bar for small firms like Pixelmator.
I see where you're coming from, as it's definitely one of the key challenges. However, Adobe Stock is not the only resource, and we're confident that we'll find licensing options that are fair and also devise ways to actively involve creators in the process. 🤞

2023-06-01 14:29:22

Understood. Thank you for clarifying!
by Samanta

2023-06-08 16:19:39

I have been using Adobe Firefly for a few weeks now and it has already made my job a whole lot easier. Generative Fill and Context Aware editing is quite amazing. The latter I would definitely like to see it in PMP. The repair tool is pretty basic in comparison.

The other main thing I use Photoshop for is its photo restore feature. The results are, on the whole, excellent and it is extremely fast.

Like others here I quit using Adobe products when they moved to a subscription model but, with these new tools available, that subscription is starting to look like real value for money. I have been using PMP since it first appeared but it is starting to feel a little "old" now. Hate to say it, but the time is fast approaching when I may jump ship and take up a subscription to Adobe, and that is something I thought I would never do!

2023-06-14 08:18:45

I'd love it if there was a way to connect a MidJourney or Stable Diffusion account to Pixlemator Pro, so you could type your prompts directly in the app and edit the image all in one place. I realise this might not be technically possible though.

2023-06-14 19:55:38

DiffusionBee is an incredible Mac client for Stable Diffusion that can do what PS's Generative Fill is doing. It makes me think that Pixelmator could implement the model into their product and still keep it working on-device.

2023-06-21 23:33:24

+1 for Generative Fill / Content-Aware Fill. Thank you Samantha for the response. I'm excited to see how the M2 Ultra and 32-Core Neural can be leveraged in future Pixelmator Pro builds.

2023-06-24 18:49:19

One note: Please, when you add features like this, which will not work locally, make it possible to disable them. I don't want my private photos uploaded to some servers, no knowing what happen to them like Adobe does it. If someone uses the Adobe cloud I understand they have no problem that Adobe scans there photos for tools like Generative Fill. But I want to keep control of my photos. Thanks.

2023-06-29 05:31:31

I've been using various beta / open source Stable Diffusion (the underlying tech for Adobe's new features) tools for a while now on my M1 Pro MBP 14" and running it locally on M1 chips is performant enough to be useable IMO.

I remember when AI Super resolution launched and it would often take 30+ seconds on Intel machines, I don't think it's unreasonable to wait that long given the immense utility of a Stable Diffusion based inpainting tool.

Anybody curious should give DIffusionBee a shot - it's a local Stable Diffusion client with a really Mac OS native interface.

2023-06-29 06:48:16

The Adobe Firefly technology beta is also free and creates awesome images as well as generative fill: Adobe Firefly

by Peter Lawrence
Anybody curious should give DIffusionBee a shot - it's a local Stable Diffusion client with a really Mac OS native interface.

2023-07-17 16:15:23

Came here to look for answers about Generative Fill. Was quite jealous when a family member used this for a wedding photo recently.
Look forward to seeing something like this on Photomator or Pixelmator Pro.

2023-09-02 05:49:45

I guess it's just about matter of time when every more or less serious image editor has this kind of AI magic built into them. As of now Pixelmator should first bring us content aware fill ASAP.

2023-10-26 15:07:41

by Juhani I guess it's just about matter of time when every more or less serious image editor has this kind of AI magic built into them. As of now Pixelmator should first bring us content aware fill ASAP.
Skylum Luminar Neo is releasing Gen Fill in the next day or so and Gen Expand soon. These features rely on cloud processing to do the work. I watched a demo of Gen Fill and it took about 30 seconds to return a result. I expect this to improve over time.

I subscribe to Neo so am excited to try the new tool. I take many dog photos and removing a leash with the clone tool is time consuming and boring. I am hoping Gen Erase can help do this faster.

2023-11-09 05:00:01

Basically no problem but Photoshop can do exactly what Photoshop does. I understand this and use some other tool for the times when I need AI generative fill. It's few and far between.

2023-11-10 16:39:41

I believe, on the Mac this can done without the need of using the cloud in Apple Silicon. Is Pixelmator Pro going to explore this?