Photomator 3.0.1 Bug

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2023-05-19 09:40:07

When I edit a photo and then go to the photo library the usual chain badge is substituted by the pencil badge. If I open the same photo again in the editing mode, all the settings are reset to defaults, even though the photo still looks edited.

If I edit a photo and then copy the edit and batch-paste it, it doesn't copy over the photos. It doesn't even ask me to accept the changes.

If I copy the edit and swipe to the next photo without leaving the editing mode, I can paste and it works BUT if I leave to the library, both photos have the pencil badge.

---------

Never mind. I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it. Other than losing a few presets, all is good, it fixed the issue.

If you have a similar issue, backup your presets and then uninstall the app.

2023-05-19 22:40:00

Cheers, tried that here and it didn't work for me.

It works only if I select the iCloud storage options, if I select Files/local storage, then I just get the pencil icon and no edits reappearing when I reopen an image, and it doesn't even save the 'photo-edit' file at all.

If I change the settings, it does move the files to the correct corresponding locations, and they are linked correctly when in the iCloud/Photomator folder, but do not link when in the Files/Photomator folder. They do re-link if I switch back again. It seems there's an issue with access to the Files local folders.

However, uninstalling and reinstalling does seem to have fixed the crashing issue I had :-). [edit: as you were, it worked for a while, but has started again now).

2023-06-04 03:42:40

He Andy, yes I still have some photos showing the pencil badge. If I want to re edit them I just revert to original. Not ideal but I just don't have the time to investigate where are the folders with the edits or if they're there at all. I really hope they figure out a way to make this work as it should.

2023-06-04 04:55:47

I had this a couple of times too. Looks like it only opens the jpeg and ignores the raw and the edits.
I “fixed” it by opening the sidecar file. The drawback is it’ll duplicate the image.

2023-06-04 06:06:00

Hmm, strange, I'm finding it's working OK here since v3.0.3.

I do see the occasional Pencil icon, rather than the Link, but if you wait, it does switch over eventually (it could be many minutes, or even at a later launch). I don't know if that's just a bottleneck in the Pixelmator setup, or if it's an issue in the iPadOS Files app. However, that's been happening as long as I can remember.

The crash still hasn't been fixed though, even at 3.0.4 which is supposed to have fixed it.

FWIW, I've been conversing with Nik at Raw Power, and there are a few bugs in Apple's Raw Development code that are proving to be difficult to work around. He has managed to improve, but not completely eliminate a crash that I was experiencing with RP.

So, I don't think everything is entirely Photomator's issue, but perhaps bugs in Apple's code are the actual cause (apparently Apple have made it very difficult to extract the causes from the logs).

2023-06-05 12:49:02

by corsagi I had this a couple of times too. Looks like it only opens the jpeg and ignores the raw and the edits.
I “fixed” it by opening the sidecar file. The drawback is it’ll duplicate the image.
The issue should be fixed in the newest version of Photomator, so make sure to update the app in the App Store. If the issue remains, please drop us a line at support@pixelmator.com 🙏
by Andy Hewitt Hmm, strange, I'm finding it's working OK here since v3.0.3.

I do see the occasional Pencil icon, rather than the Link, but if you wait, it does switch over eventually (it could be many minutes, or even at a later launch). I don't know if that's just a bottleneck in the Pixelmator setup, or if it's an issue in the iPadOS Files app. However, that's been happening as long as I can remember.

The crash still hasn't been fixed though, even at 3.0.4 which is supposed to have fixed it.

FWIW, I've been conversing with Nik at Raw Power, and there are a few bugs in Apple's Raw Development code that are proving to be difficult to work around. He has managed to improve, but not completely eliminate a crash that I was experiencing with RP.

So, I don't think everything is entirely Photomator's issue, but perhaps bugs in Apple's code are the actual cause (apparently Apple have made it very difficult to extract the causes from the logs).
That's weird. Could you email us at support@pixelmator.com with more information? It would be really helpful if you could provide us with more information about when the issue occurs and the specific device you are using. Also, if the app crashes again, it would be greatly appreciated if you could send us the crash log. Thank you!

2023-06-06 08:12:32

by Samanta

That's weird. Could you email us at support@pixelmator.com with more information? It would be really helpful if you could provide us with more information about when the issue occurs and the specific device you are using. Also, if the app crashes again, it would be greatly appreciated if you could send us the crash log. Thank you!
No problem, it has crashed again, so I've sent in the crash log.

Thanks.

2023-06-07 12:07:56

by Andy Hewitt
No problem, it has crashed again, so I've sent in the crash log.

Thanks.
Appreciate your help. ❤️