Is there a way to create different "catalogs" à la Lightroom Classic, and unlink from iCloud Photos?

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2023-08-06 18:51:26

Hi! I'm looking for a Lightroom Classic alternative as a photographer and I really love Photomator's macOS-like UI so far. However, the biggest issue for me with Photomator is that it seems to be always linked to my iCloud Photos. This is a deal-breaker because I work with a tremendous number of RAW files—often sifting through them—and so obviously it would make no sense for me to have photos for clients and businesses to be imported into my iCloud Photos. That's where I keep my casual iPhone photos from my personal life.

Just wanted to make sure I'm not missing it—is there a way to unlink Photomator from iCloud Photos, and create a dedicated "catalog" or "library"?

2023-08-21 21:40:07

I believe that they have yet to release files support for the desktop version. It is on the road map for release soon I understand. Files support is available in the iOS version and works well. I currently edit RAW images stored on my NAS with the iOS version on my iPad but it would be so much better if I could do it on my desktop. At present for my desktop work I use Pixelmator Pro which is an overkill for some of my editing. It’s a bit like using Photoshop to edit when Lightroom is all that is needed.