Custom cropping

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2023-09-19 10:25:40

I need to crop some files resizing only the horizontal keeping vertical the same.
I can't manage to do that with the crop tool.
When I resize horizontally it resize vertically too :-(

And I need to keep the same ratio for cropping all pictures.
Can we do that please ?

2023-10-04 14:04:41

Sorry, no one has responded to you - so far. The crop tool works perfectly for me. Are you using the corners to crop? If so, yes it changes both horizontal and vertical. Use the side anchors to adjust only the horizontal widths.

As for the ratio, Can you find a template, or make a custom size document with your requirements. Since you are only changing the widths do you have to move the image inside the desired dimensions, left or right? Are all the images the same size horizontally (AND vertical?) If you don't have to adjust the location, side to side, then you might find a shortcut that will easily do it. Never needed to automate that kind of thing, myself. FWIW.

2023-10-04 18:14:21

Thank you. I did in in Photoshop, sadly.

2023-10-07 14:14:09

Hold alt and click+drag from left or right anchor. In essence it´s a crop from the center.

2023-10-07 15:53:51

@EllenM good to know. I always forget to know and use alt (etc) key functionality.

Interestingly, on the bottom layer of my simple testing ⌥ click-drag performed a shrink of the entire contents when selected, leaving unchanged upper layers (in my case a simple added rectangle.)
I learned something new today.

2023-10-08 09:51:35

@mccoytest I´m not sure what you´re talking about. When the Crop tool (C) is active it doesn´t matter how many layers I have selected; holding alt key will crop from the center the whole image.

2023-10-08 15:03:18

No, I did not use the crop tool, at all. I was learning about the ⌥ click-drag you mentioned (above)
by EllenM Hold alt and click+drag from left or right anchor. In essence it´s a crop from the center.
I perceived that was on a a pasted image layer since only in essence it acted as a crop tool - NOT the crop tool, but now I know that you DID mean the crop tool when I thought you were just adjusting an image layer. So now that you know I was NOT using the crop tool does my entry make sense? Thank you for clarifying; I learned another ⌥ kbd sequence today.