RAW+JPEG and Fuji compressed RAW?

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2023-08-21 10:06:48

Photomator 3.0.6 added support for compressed RAWs from Fuji cameras as well as RAW+JPEG assets. I shoot both RAW and JPEG but I'm having an issue with RAW+JPEG assets and maintaining both of files. In essence, if I edit the RAW, I can't access the original JPEG until I revert the RAW edits back to original. I did some experimenting and here's what happens:

I shot a test photo with my Fuji X-H2 shooting RAW+JPEG (Normal + Lossless compressed RAW in the settings). I import the .jpg and .raf files into Photomator at the same time to generate a RAW+JPEG asset. I shot the photo with a black and white film simulation.

With Photomator set to "Open RAW by default", I open the asset and see the colored RAW with the info panel showing that it is the RAW. I suspect however that I have the JPEG opened considering the file size.

I make edits to the RAW and save the edits. When I open the image back up and pull up the info panel, it now shows that I am looking at a JPEG + SIDECAR.

When I change Photomator to "Open JPEG by default", it pulls up a JPEG of my edited RAW and not the original shot JPEG. I cannot find a way to see my original JPEG unless I revert the edits.

This behavior does not occur when I edit just a RAW file, it instead shows RAW + sidecar. Also, the RAW file size is of the proper size now.

It should also be noted that when the asset is viewed in Apple Photos, which does not support compressed Fuji RAWs, the edits I made to the RAW in Photomator changes the JPEG in Apple Photos.

So in conclusion, unless I do not understand the point of RAW+JPEG (which is to conveniently save both files in one asset and be able to edit and access each file independently) or how Photomator handles these files, it would seem that this feature does not work properly.

Please let me know if I am doing something wrong, because I am at a loss.

2023-10-24 13:54:47

Bumping up this post as I encountered the same thing and am really confused about the implementation as well. Additional confusion is caused by the size in the info panel always displaying the size of the JPEG, never the RAW (which would be at least 10 MB larger than the JPEG).

2023-10-31 14:26:31

I am experimenting with HEIF in the mixte and it is even more confusing. The RAW+HEIF pair is not recognized as such, but that seems to be rooting in Apple Photos that does not keep them combined either. But then in Photomator if I open the HEIF file and edit, after a few edit it became a JPEG, Photomator did not preserve the original format. That is an issue since HEIF have better dynamic range one do not want a JPEG conversion to occur. All in all HEIF in general and RAW+HEIF in particular, does not seem to be tested. Supporting a file format to open is not enough, the whole edit workflow have to work with that format. These issues are obvious as soon as you just use the program to do more than only open the picture.