Banding. Does it use the RAW file?

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2023-11-18 05:53:02

Hi there. I have pretty underexposed ProRAW shot and want to lift/rescue my shadows in Photomator iOS.
But when I do it, I get heavy banding in the shadows. Like from a JPEG. If I do the same thing in Pixelmator MacOS or any other RAW developer, the shadows are pretty clean and no banding at all.
Does Photomator iOS actually uses the RAW file?

2023-11-18 09:49:37

Not by default. There is a setting to make raw the default if you shoot raw+jpeg so try that. You may have to revert to original to have it pick the raw if the jpeg was already edited.

2023-11-18 11:31:12

Photomator iOS was set to "use RAW by default" and the image was the original ProRAW file.

2023-11-21 16:30:05

you have to make sure it shows RAW when you open it and no edits were done. If there is a JPEG that was created associated with the RAW, even if you select "use RAW by default" that JPEG will be opened and you know if you check info or look at the image title. I word around this by reverting to original in Apple Photos, then re-open in Photomator, and then I get the RAW

2023-11-21 21:57:54

I checked all these parameters, but no luck! The badge in the left top corner actually says it's a RAW file but when I open it and look into the info panel, it says JPEG.

It is the original file for sure.
I just double checked it and opened an old RAW file from my Canon 550D/T2i and Photomator accepts it as a RAW file.

Maybe it has something to do with the new iPhone or with ProRAW files? I have no other Phone for testing it...

2023-11-22 09:02:30

I found the solution/bug. I always shoot with a color filter applied.
When I revert the filter to original, it does not help Photomator. But when I shoot without a filter applied, Photomator uses the RAW file. Seems to be a bug for me.

2023-11-22 18:38:04

Not an expert, but usually anything that looks like a filter imply a JPEG, RAW is raw