Mac version: Cataloging in disk folders, independently of Apple Photos

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2023-09-18 00:14:34

I also waiting for this!

2023-09-18 07:27:44

Same for me, this is an absolutely necessary feature !

2023-09-19 04:00:24

by James Zhan The Photos apps is also where many of us store our casual, daily iPhone snapshots and screenshots. We wouldn't want to mix RAW files for clients and businesses into our personal Photos library.
+1

The current hard link to Photos makes Photomator a bit of a hard sell for prosumer/professional types -- or at least the ones who shoot larges bursts.

2023-09-19 12:27:56

by James Zhan Just wanted to put another vote in for this feature. Being able to create separate "catalogs" or "libraries" that are completely separate from Apple Photos (like Lightroom Classic) is the last thing stopping me from switching from LR to Photomator!

For us photographers shooting RAW files with cameras with big sensors, we are working with a TON of data. It simply makes no sense to put these RAW files in the Apple Photos library and get the RAW files synced to our iCloud. We would run out of the 2TB iCloud storage (which is the maximum we can get) in no time.

The Photos apps is also where many of us store our casual, daily iPhone snapshots and screenshots. We wouldn't want to mix RAW files for clients and businesses into our personal Photos library.

I saw that Simon from Pixelmator said this is would only take a few months' time to develop? That gives me hope! I look forward to seeing this feature :)
Isn't it possible to create multiple Photos libraries on same computer? Plus it is also possible to not have them sync online. It is not a requirement. And libraries can exist on an external hard drive as well. Wouldn't that solve the issue at least partly?

2023-09-21 18:41:23

by denisbkk
Isn't it possible to create multiple Photos libraries on same computer? Plus it is also possible to not have them sync online. It is not a requirement. And libraries can exist on an external hard drive as well. Wouldn't that solve the issue at least partly?
I thought this would be a great temporary workaround but when I created a new Photos library, Photomator still somehow defaulted to the original library and there doesn't seem to be a way to choose any other library. Unless I'm missing something?

2023-09-22 06:06:33

by simonasd Not at the moment, but this is planned for a future update!
When is the future?

2023-09-25 09:38:15

by Sven-Erik Olsson When is the future?
already if you wait a second... :grin:

2023-11-14 09:01:30

Hi. Is there any news on when File Browser support with effortless file and folder management will be implemented?

The reliance on Apple Photos is a really annoying problem, as all the RAW and sidecar files fill up the iCloud extremely quickly.

On 19 May you wrote: "Definitely not years - more like a few months. 🤞." Now the year is almost over and we are still dealing with these issues! Will there be an update this year?

Don't get me wrong, Photomator is an impressive piece of software and we love working with it.

2023-11-17 12:12:48

by Bjalle Hi. Is there any news on when File Browser support with effortless file and folder management will be implemented?

The reliance on Apple Photos is a really annoying problem, as all the RAW and sidecar files fill up the iCloud extremely quickly.

On 19 May you wrote: "Definitely not years - more like a few months. 🤞." Now the year is almost over and we are still dealing with these issues! Will there be an update this year?

Don't get me wrong, Photomator is an impressive piece of software and we love working with it.
I think this should make you happy! https://youtu.be/MV0BGyeWc2A?si=OAuPVhaslAu1-wfS :blush:

2023-11-18 19:19:54

by Lloyd Aygun
I think this should make you happy! https://youtu.be/MV0BGyeWc2A?si=OAuPVhaslAu1-wfS :blush:
Yep… it did.

2023-12-01 10:54:17

Same as me, just downloaded trial of Photomator for Mac, I have bought version of Pixelmator Pro which I love but batch functions are sorely missing, then I read that Photomator has this but now see only in Photos and you have to import a days shoot into Photos before using, which I will not be doing, mega pity! Please, please enable external editing of files, will buy immediately if you do OR enable proper batch copy and paste setting in Pixelmator Pro, similar to Adobe Raw layout. I know you can save settings as a template and then copy to each individual photo but when dealing with many hundreds, which are near identical, it's way too time consuming. Pretty please! C

2023-12-01 14:59:07

by Syko
Please make this a priority....
This is the only reason I have not been able to leave on1 and Lightroom. I have all photos on a nas and im not wanting to pay for icloud storage
Maybe you should revisit your view on cloud storage. Things do change. It is not very expensive, provide much better data security/safety than your NAS, and is more flexible. Your NAS device was not free and it's cost worth many many years of online storage for which the cost keep coming down. Anyway not telling you what to do, but developers will not do things like 10 years ago, they develop based on current technology. If you stick with old technology you always run the risk of being stock with old software solutions as well. As many users I would much prefer the Photomator team to spend their efforts on more useful developments for the current user base.