Rulers in Settings

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2023-10-02 14:33:05

I think it would make life/photo editing easier in PXP if one could have Rulers either showing in all cases or not showing. If one is doing composites, it makes a number of things easier to do. Like setting guides, positioning items, etc. Or a toggle of some kind somewhere?
cjt

2023-10-02 14:46:13

⌘R

2023-10-02 14:58:48

Yes, but I do NOT want to have to do this for each and every time I open a new photo or add a new document. One other app that I use has at least a hidden default that takes care of this.
cjt

2023-10-02 15:13:37

Yeah, life is tough. How old are you, just curious?

2023-10-02 15:32:35

If you are 40 or younger I have had a computer of some kind or other than you have lived!

2023-10-02 15:44:58

Sorry, Just thought you were in your 20s, put off by such a trivial task. Then I noticed you put your full name and middle initial and concluded you probably WERE older than me. I've been "on-line" before there as an on-line. We should talk some time about the "olden days" of computing.

I haven't fooled with shortcuts, no need, but maybe there is a way to do what you require with them. I'm confident you might get some good suggestions here.

2023-10-03 04:20:56

Part of the problem for me in regard to Pixelmator is that other apps take care of this issue with either a selection or they just do it when you put in rulers, it's more a visual prop than anything else I suppose. But I really like to have it and yeah, I've had all kinds of computers in my day and even built three or four so I've had fun though! Also, trying to keep life, simple, if you don't buy green bananas, because you may not see them ripe you don't wanna waste time!

2023-10-03 13:43:13

Enable Rulers here:

2023-10-03 14:07:55

@EllenM, I mentioned that above (Sorry small single entry response ("⌘R") your graphic is better.)
Charles wants to have it "Never on" and does not want to always have to use a two key fix. (Paraphrasing here.)
I think ⌘R IS a great easy toggle, but he wants something that is constant between photo editing sessions, not coming "on" in new sessions or images.

2023-10-03 14:28:40

Maybe...

or maybe better as a pull-down after the percent - whatever is consistant to the pixelmator team.
No, that may not be right either because it might not stick between sessions. Oh well.

2023-10-03 14:40:33

At least you just need to toggle on or off once per session. Pixelmator Pro just forgets after closing&restart which seems a bug to me, because View->Canvas Rotation->Always Show Controls will be alive after a restart for instance.

2023-10-03 15:01:18

And that is precisely the issue! It does NOT remember. I have used other apps that DO remember this. I always want the rulers to show up. I am often doing a composite, I may need to put guides in, rulers help this. Estimate size of the font in pixels when you are ready to add a text box? Maybe this long discussion will catch attention somewhere that someone can do something. Anyway, thanks to you both for the discussion. Isn't that part of the reason we hang around on these forums/groups/whatever they are called??

2023-10-03 16:14:53

Yes Chuck, May I call you Chuck?, @EllenM and I lurk around here to try to discover and solve PixPro issues others are having - BEFORE we run into them. Or maybe we HAVE run into them ourselves. @EllenM has a depth of knowledge, about graphics/Photos/PixPro in general that I don't YET possess. I generally am trying to learn from trying to replicate problems.

Its been fun.

2023-10-03 16:23:26

Believe me that I appreciate the efforts of both of you. I have benefited from your compatriots on other forums.

2023-10-03 16:24:16

Oh, Chuck is what we call my son. So, that doesn't work for us! Family tradition and all that. :wink:

2023-10-04 13:21:50

Good to know Charles.

2023-12-17 20:21:37

by mccoytest I think ⌘R IS a great easy toggle,.
Easy, yet annoying, as the rulers aren't permanent for some reason.