Observations

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2024-01-22 05:44:12

After using Photomator on my iPad and Mac for the past few weeks I thought I would provide some feedback.

Who am I: I’m a weekend/monthly photographer which means that I’m editing pictures about as often. My go to is with my iPad for editing but I’ve found myself using my Mac more than I thought because of the bigger screen. Both my Mac and iPad have M1 chips. I enjoy the integration with Apple Photos for storage.

What is my most frequent requirements:
- how to make a photo taken in the middle of the day look not as washed out
- how to remove/tone down shine on peoples faces or other surfaces
- how to remove/heal
- how to mask things/objects in order to change the colour, make them brighter or darker etc. using the brush tool is time consuming option. Frequently the objects are not the main subjects to editing them to bring less attention would help. Sure sometimes the radial or linear gradients can be used but having brush edge detection would be a significant capability improvement.

How to - short tutorials\tutorials:
- I would be nice to have some very short tutorials (video would be ideal) to cover the most frequent basic editing needs/workflow. Much of what I’ve found in my searching is on Light Room and well the tools are not same.
- short editing workflow example on editing say typical mid day holiday pictures with too much glare, muted colours
- short editing workflow on the basics of bringing the attention to your subject (such as making it brighter, larger, sharper, warmer) and doing the inverse to the things that are not the subject, i.e., de-emphasise them.
- short editing workflow for sunset pictures, such as adding lens flare effect.
- sky enhancement as sometimes you don’t have a choice to accept the sky you have

Well these are just my observations, feel free to pick holes in them.

cheers

2024-01-22 15:43:53

Online user guide https://www.pixelmator.com/support/guid ... -photo/615
several videos here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... -_64rH7SA_
searching for "photomator tutorial" in YouTube will give you more videos

now many things you are looking more generic and can be done with any software, it has more to do with photo processing knowledge than a specific app. So searching for that topic will lead you with tutorials related to the topic, which you can then apply in Photomator even if the tutorial uses another software.

Cheers

2024-01-22 16:46:21

This playlist from Joseph Slinker is for pixelmator Pro, but all but the layers applies to Photomator

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... wlQ2ptPuu2

Shelton.

2024-01-22 17:04:05

Martin and Shelton,
Thank you for the comments. Yes I am using Google to improve my knowledge and have found those sources. I just wanted to share my observations just in case they might be helpful. I am looking forward to Dehaze and automated/improved edge detection;)