Updated adjustment tools for previously edited photos

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2023-11-23 21:55:10

I see that Photomator 3.2 improves the highlight recovery feature, which is great! I was wondering: how does Photomator handle updates to adjustment tools for previously edited photos?

For example, let's say I've adjusted highlights on a photo in an older version of Photomator. Then I re-open it in v3.2. What happens to the photo? Will the previous output still show up, or will the photo have the new adjustments automatically applied?

I hope the answer is that the old output shows up, as I don't want my previously edited photos changing unexpectedly. But then, if I want to re-edit a photo how do I opt in to the new highlight recovery?

2023-11-24 15:19:56

by nigelw I see that Photomator 3.2 improves the highlight recovery feature, which is great! I was wondering: how does Photomator handle updates to adjustment tools for previously edited photos?

For example, let's say I've adjusted highlights on a photo in an older version of Photomator. Then I re-open it in v3.2. What happens to the photo? Will the previous output still show up, or will the photo have the new adjustments automatically applied?

I hope the answer is that the old output shows up, as I don't want my previously edited photos changing unexpectedly. But then, if I want to re-edit a photo how do I opt in to the new highlight recovery?
You're right – the old color adjustments stay unless you decide otherwise. To re-edit the photo, you'll need to revert it to the original and simply start editing, the improved adjustments are activated automatically.

2023-11-25 15:37:01

Cool, that makes sense. One more question: if I make edits without first reverting, will the old or new version of the adjustment be used?

2024-01-23 18:01:35

by nigelw Cool, that makes sense. One more question: if I make edits without first reverting, will the old or new version of the adjustment be used?
In this case old adjustments are active until you reset them.

2024-01-24 09:22:08

👍 thanks for the response.