Version 3.0.12 has made this app unusable

Discuss Pixelmator for iOS and mobile image editing.

2023-09-17 11:48:24

Several issues using the app…

-The first & biggest issue is EVERY new project will not open after exiting/closing it (going back to select menu). They all say ‘Error 513’.
I have lost several edits & works in progress because of this.

- ‘Paste’ STILL does not paste in place. It only does (sometimes) if the pasted item includes any page borders (pasting top or bottom half or sides of an image). It only does then if the entire page is visible (not zoomed in).

- When Adding Effects to a higher Layer the effect does not show until leaving the Effects menu (hitting DONE).

- When applying Retouch tools to layers the layer blows up/enlarges when drawing (touching the screen to apply retouch)

- Quick selection does not follow contrasting edges. Constantly selects random blob shapes.

2023-10-06 00:23:18

I’ve lost a ton of projects to this too. Sometimes I’ll return to the app via app switching and it’s like the project did not exist. Very frustrating.

2023-10-06 08:13:12

by Strobeeone Several issues using the app…

-The first & biggest issue is EVERY new project will not open after exiting/closing it (going back to select menu). They all say ‘Error 513’.
I have lost several edits & works in progress because of this.

- ‘Paste’ STILL does not paste in place. It only does (sometimes) if the pasted item includes any page borders (pasting top or bottom half or sides of an image). It only does then if the entire page is visible (not zoomed in).

- When Adding Effects to a higher Layer the effect does not show until leaving the Effects menu (hitting DONE).

- When applying Retouch tools to layers the layer blows up/enlarges when drawing (touching the screen to apply retouch)

- Quick selection does not follow contrasting edges. Constantly selects random blob shapes.
by Sarah Rodriguez I’ve lost a ton of projects to this too. Sometimes I’ll return to the app via app switching and it’s like the project did not exist. Very frustrating.
I'm sooo sorry to hear that. We tried to recreate these issues and the first issue of not being able to open projects, so far, seems to be connected with iCloud. If you use iCloud for storing your Pixelmator documents, you could try storing them on your device by choosing Settings > Pixelmator > Document Storage > On My iPad (iPhone). Anyway, we're working hard to fix it as soon as possible.

Concerning the other issues, we had no success in recreating them. I know it's a lot to ask but maybe you could send us a screen recording of your workflow and some information about your device at support@pixelmator.com? It would help us a lot in finding and fixing the issue faster. 🙏

2023-10-08 18:22:01

I’ve also noticed an increase in these bugs. App crashes, it will just stop responding to my changes and I have to force quit. Using Cropping tool has caused this in the past, but now nearly any tool can trigger it. Maybe it all started along with iOS 17 roll out? One issue that keeps occurring for me is with the cloning tool. When I go to use it, the entire layer I’m applying it to, goes invisible while I press down on the screen. It is still technically drawing something - I just can’t see what it is because the layer is invisible. Once I lift up, the layer reappears and I can see what I did. But it’s usually pretty bad, since I had to do it blind. So it’s a complete guessing game, effectively making the cloning tool unusable. It doesn’t happen ALL the time, but often. All that said…When glitches are under control, this app is by far the best photo editing app for the price out there. Easy to understand tools (no tutorials needed) easy to access, quick, and a great repair tool. Very much appreciate you all keeping it up and running. Hopefully these recent glitches can be fixed soon. I’m in IT myself, I understand the importance of accurate non-hyperbolic error/bug reporting. I wouldn’t post on here unless I thought it’d help to make a great app, get back on the right track!

2023-10-09 08:40:27

by Ben Hermes I’ve also noticed an increase in these bugs. App crashes, it will just stop responding to my changes and I have to force quit. Using Cropping tool has caused this in the past, but now nearly any tool can trigger it. Maybe it all started along with iOS 17 roll out? One issue that keeps occurring for me is with the cloning tool. When I go to use it, the entire layer I’m applying it to, goes invisible while I press down on the screen. It is still technically drawing something - I just can’t see what it is because the layer is invisible. Once I lift up, the layer reappears and I can see what I did. But it’s usually pretty bad, since I had to do it blind. So it’s a complete guessing game, effectively making the cloning tool unusable. It doesn’t happen ALL the time, but often. All that said…When glitches are under control, this app is by far the best photo editing app for the price out there. Easy to understand tools (no tutorials needed) easy to access, quick, and a great repair tool. Very much appreciate you all keeping it up and running. Hopefully these recent glitches can be fixed soon. I’m in IT myself, I understand the importance of accurate non-hyperbolic error/bug reporting. I wouldn’t post on here unless I thought it’d help to make a great app, get back on the right track!
Thanks for letting us know! I've shared the information with the development team, they'll keep a closer eye on the Crop tool. 🙏

2023-10-18 12:16:03

by AlanHampton Any update?
The development team is still working to address these issues, although some have proven a bit tricky to reproduce. If you've come across similar problems, please feel free to drop us a friendly email at support@pixelmator.com. Sharing screen recordings, files that you experience issues with, your Pixelmator version, and your device model would be super helpful.

2023-12-23 11:22:46

Very frustrating!
I have experienced same problems as mentioned
in this thread.
Most disturbing is loosing layers when saving
a project.
I would be happy to return to a much simpler
earlier version of the app when the brushes
were more varied although, I understand that's
not going to happen.
Please stabilise ASAP!

2024-02-15 17:37:45

by Ben Hermes One issue that keeps occurring for me is with the cloning tool. When I go to use it, the entire layer I’m applying it to, goes invisible while I press down on the screen. It is still technically drawing something - I just can’t see what it is because the layer is invisible. Once I lift up, the layer reappears and I can see what I did. But it’s usually pretty bad, since I had to do it blind. So it’s a complete guessing game, effectively making the cloning tool unusable. It doesn’t happen ALL the time, but often.
This is happening to me as well. When drawing with the clone tool, the layer disappears from the window. It only happens when drawing.