Sorting and culling images

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2023-06-02 03:40:38

Is there an easy way to sort through and cull existing libraries that are in apple photos (iCloud library)? I've thousands of images and if Photomator can help with more than editing it would be great.

2023-06-12 13:15:06

I use Photo Workbench from Houdah to apply batch keywords and titles. My culling technique for iCloud Photos is to add a DELETE keyword, then use a smart album (Mac) to gather the files based on that keyword.

Photo Workbench is a complement to Photomator.

2024-01-08 04:21:37

@jaberg, Thanks for the recommendation for Photo Workbench. This is exactly what I was looking for.

2024-01-08 12:49:59

by jaberg I use Photo Workbench from Houdah
I just had a look at their site, and this looks very promising indeed. they only thing I see is that you can filter using stars, but the options are, for example, 1 star or better. Is there an option to filter on 1 star?

2024-01-08 13:53:53

by Gareth Williams
I just had a look at their site, and this looks very promising indeed. they only thing I see is that you can filter using stars, but the options are, for example, 1 star or better. Is there an option to filter on 1 star?
If your intent is to delete the 1 start, then filter for 1star+better, at the same time sort by rating, and that will make it very easy to select the one-start photos and delete them in one go.

2024-01-08 16:20:32

I use Fastrawviewer to sort and cull my pictures, well worth the very small fee

Shelton.

2024-01-13 10:52:32

I employ Houdah's Photo Workbench for efficient batch keyword and title applications. When managing my iCloud Photos, my culling technique involves adding a DELETE keyword. Subsequently, I use a smart album on Mac to organize files based on this keyword. It's worth noting that Photo Workbench serves as a valuable complement to Photomator in my workflow.

2024-02-08 20:54:20

Photo Workbench has a terrible memory leak for me, which is requires that I force quit and restart the app after going through 20-30 images or so. The developer has been working on it, but it hasn't been solved yet.

In the meantime, I think I'm resorting to Adobe's Photography subscription until Photomator builds out its rating and sorting features. Lightroom Classic is just miles ahead of everything else I've seen as far as this stuff goes, as much as I hate to say that. Glad we're seeing strong competition in this market and looking forward to revisiting Photomator for this part of my workflow when the capabilities exist.

Also, I discovered a new app, which is unfortunately iOS and visionOS only for now, called Photoscope. It automatically stacks images by capture time, and then you tap on a stack to compare candidates and select them.

2024-02-25 15:51:28

by Brrrendan Also, I discovered a new app, which is unfortunately iOS and visionOS only for now, called Photoscope. It automatically stacks images by capture time, and then you tap on a stack to compare candidates and select them.
That looks really cool, and works nicely. I do wish there was a way to exclude a photo from a series though, if i really want to keep it, but carry on comparing the rest.