Crash on MacOS 14 Sonoma?

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2023-09-27 22:05:03

I upgraded to Mac OS 14 Sonoma on an M1 mac yesterday and after a few minutes of light editing in Pixelmator classic today, it crashed. Worse, it keeps crashing every time I restart Pixelmator. This was running the latest version of Pixelmator 3.9.11 from Nov 22, 2022. I have tried deleting the files it was working on, clicking on new files, holding down the SHIFT key, rebooting etc. Anyone have any suggestions? Anyone else upgraded to Mac OS 14? Help!

2023-09-28 18:16:57

I have tried re-downloading, but same thing. Immediately crashes. I can't load any existing PXM files or edit anything. Halp!

2023-10-01 20:37:48

I'm having the same problems. Pixelmator Classic works perfectly for my needs, and I really don't want to have to switch to something else or spend money unnecessarily just to have a quality image editor again.

2023-10-02 09:30:00

You're right, Pixelmator Classic has been out of development for around 3 years and it does not support macOS Sonoma. If you want to use Pixelmator Classic, we recommend reverting to macOS Ventura.

2023-10-03 12:52:19

Well that's easy. You let people pay for your product. After a year or two you rename the product to 'pro' and claim it is a new product. And just stop supporting the original product. Saying people have to buy the new product, which is basically the original product but WITH support.

Rinse, repeat.

Why should I pay for PRO, knowing that in a short time you'll rename it to ULTRA and stop supporting PRO.

2023-10-05 03:02:34

Yes. ME too. I hope you guys could fix the bug.Thanks. :kissing_heart:

2023-10-08 15:57:43

I have to join the others here in saying that I'm disappointed that Pixelmator Classic is no longer supported in Sonoma. I have Pixelmator Pro too, but I've worked with the classic version for years, and the Pro version is overkill for my needs. I hope you can find a way to at least make it work on Sonoma. I'm not asking for new features or anything. Just please make it work.

2023-10-09 08:36:36

by Swetsenegger Well that's easy. You let people pay for your product. After a year or two you rename the product to 'pro' and claim it is a new product. And just stop supporting the original product. Saying people have to buy the new product, which is basically the original product but WITH support.

Rinse, repeat.

Why should I pay for PRO, knowing that in a short time you'll rename it to ULTRA and stop supporting PRO.
I totally understand the frustration. However, Pixelmator Pro has been in development for 6 years and users who bought it 6 years ago are still getting free updates. It's widely used and loved, so we don't have any plans to make Pixelmator Ultra or anything else of that sort. 🙏 Regardless, you don't have to purchase Pixelmator Pro. You can still use Pixelmator Classic on an operating system other than Sonoma.

2023-10-09 21:17:23

I'm disappointed that the only recourse we have is "downgrade from Sonoma", which is a messy process even if one has a recent Time Machine backup.

If we had been told that Pixelmator Classic (which worked in the beta releases of Sonoma) would stop working on the public release of macOS Sonoma, I probably would not have upgraded until I could justify spending $50 to, more or less, continue using software I already owned. I'm, sadly, not a wealthy person with much money to spare.

I deeply wish this had been communicated better and I'm really disappointed with the Pixelmator Team's response to this. We all deserved better than "pay $50 or downgrade to Ventura, easy :)".

2023-10-26 18:21:59

I deleted the PIXELMATOR Cache and it is working again in /Mac HD/Users/Name/Library/Containers

2023-10-28 04:51:03

by craigry I deleted the PIXELMATOR Cache and it is working again in /Mac HD/Users/Name/Library/Containers
I'm not sure this is necessary anymore with macOS Sonoma 14.1. The latest OS update has resolved the crashing for me.

2023-10-28 05:04:46

Aah, this solution worked perfectly for me! Thank you so much. Hopefully things keep working for a while. It's not that I don't want to get Pixelmator Pro, I just kinda can't while between jobs!

2023-11-10 09:36:35

by Samanta
I totally understand the frustration. However, Pixelmator Pro has been in development for 6 years and users who bought it 6 years ago are still getting free updates. It's widely used and loved, so we don't have any plans to make Pixelmator Ultra or anything else of that sort. 🙏 Regardless, you don't have to purchase Pixelmator Pro. You can still use Pixelmator Classic on an operating system other than Sonoma.
You clearly don't understand my frustrations. The only reason 'classic' is -not- in development for 6 years is because 6 years ago you people chose to just rename the product to pro, added a few new features, claimed it is a 'new' product and then just abandoned the old product (which was the same). Basically render my 60 euro I payed useless after that move and forcing everybody who had BOUGHT a fine working product to upgrade and AGAIN pay 60 euro's after some years. That moment is now.

Give me 1 good reason why I should ever trust you people and give my money to you again? You say 'pro' has been in development for 6 years. That is a long time. What is the guarantee that when I buy pro, you not just rename 'pro' to 'ultra' in 6 months and abandon 'pro' from any development again, like you did in the past? When I bought 'classic' (which was just called Pixelmator at the time) there were no plans for 'pro' either.

I don't WANT upgrades, I want the product I bought to just work. Thats it. Nobody is forcing you to bring out new features. Just make sure the product you sell keeps working.

And than software companies wonder why people pirate their shit 🤷‍♂️

2023-11-10 09:47:06

by craigry I deleted the PIXELMATOR Cache and it is working again in /Mac HD/Users/Name/Library/Containers
And this is even more bizarre. Such a simple solution and customers have to help other customers with this, Pixelmator support couldn't care less about old time customer it seems. Why not tell everybody "deleting the cache will solve this, but be aware Pixelmator classic is old software. It works, but we recommend you to upgrade. Now you get a 10% discount!"

That would have been the customer friendly approach which would have created goodwill instead of frustration. When I DO need new software, I for sure will not buy Pixelmator again.

2023-12-02 15:59:01

I'm struggling with this fix. I've opened Mac HD/Users/Name...(assume that's my name)/ but there is no Library folder so I can't get any further.
Any ideas?

2023-12-06 02:16:02

by Centre Stage I'm struggling with this fix. I've opened Mac HD/Users/Name...(assume that's my name)/ but there is no Library folder so I can't get any further.
Any ideas?
The Library folder is hidden by default. A quick way to get there is to hold down the option key while clicking the Finder Go menu; Library will appear in the list of common destination folders in that menu. Choose Library, then go into Containers. Find all the folders therein with Pixelmator in the name, and delete them (I emptied the trash immediately after deleting them).

This worked for me; Pixelmator 3.9.11 was crashing on launch on macOS 14.1.2, and deleting these folders made it work again.

2023-12-11 01:13:36

by Centre Stage I'm struggling with this fix. I've opened Mac HD/Users/Name...(assume that's my name)/ but there is no Library folder so I can't get any further.
Any ideas?
Are you still having this problem? I can run Pixelmator Classic v3.9.11 on my M1 Max Studio [ 32GB ] - I saw this thread on my phone as still active, but it is not on my computer. Centre Stage Did you get fixed okay? Its always good to let others know if the problem is resolved or not.

2023-12-16 20:50:59

I moved this folder 'com.pixelmatorteam.pixelmator' out of my Library to my desktop before trying again. Pixelmator classic recreated the missing folder and started working. But I have to agree with the others when they say that completely dropping support and requiring a new license is not very professional. Locating the fix and publishing it with a warning that future versions may not work and encouraging an upgrade is a much more professional way to address the issue.

2024-01-04 23:41:08

by truston
The Library folder is hidden by default. A quick way to get there is to hold down the option key while clicking the Finder Go menu; Library will appear in the list of common destination folders in that menu. Choose Library, then go into Containers. Find all the folders therein with Pixelmator in the name, and delete them (I emptied the trash immediately after deleting them).

This worked for me; Pixelmator 3.9.11 was crashing on launch on macOS 14.1.2, and deleting these folders made it work again.
Does that include files with "Pixelmator Pro" in the name? (This is so ticking me off; Pro is not the same as classic and there is so much that is so hard to do in Pro that was a snap in Classic...)

2024-01-07 15:49:24

I have a similar problem in Sonoma 14.1.2. Classic has been working fine for about a month. This morning I was switching between raster and vector when it crashed, now all I can get is the reopen/report box. I’ve tried emptying the cache in ~Library/Containers/… to no avail.
Has the M2 chip killed Classic? Even with Rosetta? Why did it work for a month without hassle? The report ends:
"PC register does not match crashing frame (0x0 vs 0x7FF802EC6DDD)"

2024-01-08 13:42:06

by Dwight
I'm not sure this is necessary anymore with macOS Sonoma 14.1. The latest OS update has resolved the crashing for me.
U saved my day!
Just for next generations:
I deleted 3 folders:
com.pixelmatorteam.pixelmator
com.pixelmatorteam.pixelmator.photos-distort-extension
com.pixelmatorteam.pixelmator.photos-retouch-extension

2024-01-20 20:00:07

U saved my day!
Just for next generations:
I deleted 3 folders:
com.pixelmatorteam.pixelmator
com.pixelmatorteam.pixelmator.photos-distort-extension
com.pixelmatorteam.pixelmator.photos-retouch-extension

This didn’t work for me. I have deleted everything Pixelmator (the app and all its data). After re-installation, from my iCloud backup, it behaved, except for one major fault – zoom in broke up the image (cmd+0 corrected it), but the same crash happened when I tried to change from rater mode to vector mode and once crashed it won’t re-open (as described previously). Guess, I’m going to have to pay a visit to my wallet!

2024-03-17 21:02:25

First time I've needed to use Pixelmator Classic in a while and was extremely annoyed when it kept crashing. I was not a member of the Community before but very glad I found this thread when I searched for a solution to the crashing. I was not aware of the "upgrade" to Pro and agree with comments already made about Classic no longer being usable with macOS Sonoma, after I paid for the licence. I appreciate others' input about clearing the pixelmator caches. Following all the advice in this thread, I was able to use Pixelmator Classic again. Fingers crossed this bandaid solution continues to work for some time! Thank you! :nerd: