Save Photomator linked files to an alternate location on Mac

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2024-03-18 18:49:37

I have used the Photomator User Guide to have my linked files saved to another Mac folder, but it doesn't work. Are there any adjustments to be made?

https://pixelmator.freshdesk.com/suppor ... ion-on-mac

Thanks

Derek

2024-03-18 19:00:17

Tell more about your configuration. Do you edit out of the Apple Photo Library or you edit images using the new File Browser ? I think those options only apply to the apple photo library. With the new Files Browser I think the sidecar is always saved alongside the image file wherever it is located. Also for the sidecar folder to existe in the Pictures folder, you need to first change the setting from iCloud to Picture Folder in the settings so the app move your existing sidecar files from their iCloud location to the Pictures folder. Only then you can take the folder with the sidecars and move it then alias it. This is not the Picture folder itself you need to move but that folder the app will create inside it.

Personally I would think carefully before moving sidecar files. Il particular if you follow the instructions and create an alias to redirect the folder elsewhere,. In particular those sidecars won't be available on iOS and iPad versions of the app if they are not stored in iCloud. Point is you loose some of the app functionality.

2024-03-18 19:28:29

Thanks for your reply.
I've set set sidecar files to Pictures, edited a photo and closed Photomator.
I then moved the Linked Files folder from Pictures to the Documents folder and created an alias. I then moved that alias to the Pictures folder.

I then I reopen Photomator and edit a photo and press done. The sidecar file is saved to a new Linked File folder in the pictures folder and not the documents folder.

2024-03-18 22:34:03

What is the name of the alias ? Might have to match the original folder name and not ‘alias of …’

2024-03-18 22:51:10

The alias file is called Linked File alias. That is the same as the original file name plus the word alias.

2024-03-19 12:24:30

by derekhandforth The alias file is called Linked File alias. That is the same as the original file name plus the word alias.
Rename it and remove the word Alias to the name perfectly match what was there.

2024-03-19 13:09:49

I've just tried that. Before the instructions are carried out a linked file is created.
After I close Photomator, move the linked file folder, create an alias, move it to the Pictures folder and rename it to Linked Files.
When I open Photomator, edit a photo and click done. A linked file isn't created but a "Pencil" symbol appears at the top left rather than the "Chain" symbol. No linked file is created in the folders.

2024-03-19 13:35:55

Further to my last post. Having carried out the instruction and take a random file and move it to the linked file folder in my pictures folder it is automatically copied to the linked file folder in my Documents folder. So the alias works in MacOs.

The problem appears to be with Photomator.

2024-03-20 14:49:07

by derekhandforth I've just tried that. Before the instructions are carried out a linked file is created.
After I close Photomator, move the linked file folder, create an alias, move it to the Pictures folder and rename it to Linked Files.
When I open Photomator, edit a photo and click done. A linked file isn't created but a "Pencil" symbol appears at the top left rather than the "Chain" symbol. No linked file is created in the folders.
I'm having the exact same issue. I've disabled any settings that mention preserving edits, restarted, provided a video to the support staff, and have not received a response after 3 follow ups.

2024-03-28 23:14:24

I would suggest creating the alias at the commande line, that is how I usually do it, rather than using the Finder UI. Aliases can be tricky.

Open a Terminal window
move the link file folder
cd to the directory when you want the alias to be
create a symbolic link (alias): # ln -s /users/user_name/.../.../LinedFilesFolderName "Linked Files"
the double quotes are important if you have a space in the name. After the ln -s command you should see an alias file. Do info on it to see that it points to the right location. Note you can copy/paste folder name from the Finder path bar if you have that enabled.

2024-04-02 10:37:07

I have this issue as well. I tried both methods of alias making. (I swear it worked, but it has been a few weeks since I did any photo editing)

The issue seems to be that my Linked Files folder was on a USB drive. I made an alias to a folder on my computer, and everything worked fine.

Anyone have any ideas what could be going on?

USB was AFS formatted; my photo library is actually on it as well.

Pixelmator Pro showed the same behavior.

mac: Intel, macOS 14.3.1

2024-04-10 17:20:42

I am not sure USB drives always get mounted the same way as you plug and unplug them. They mount to /dev/... something, and the something may change. If you cmd-i info the alias you can see what path it points to. Maybe that path changes when you plug back and thus would not be usable. I never used alias with removable devices. Just a suggestion.

2024-04-10 17:26:32

Find below a reply from Pixelmator.

"Thank you for reaching out, hope you're doing well.

I really appreciate you sending over the required files.

I had a look through our recent catalogue of resolutions and I located another case that had the same problem.

It seems that with the addition of the Files browser, using the Linked files method of storing Sidecar files isn't working anymore because of a certain permissions issue. This makes it so the app thinks that it should use that folder, but in reality it does not have the correct permissions to write files there.

Reviewing this method and updating it is in our To-Do list, though for the time being, I'd suggest simply using the Files browser or the default folder for your Sidecars, if possible"