What could be improved...

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2024-03-07 12:52:48

Hi there,

I'm having some issues with Photomator for macOS.

Here are my findings after a few days of working with your software.

- very nice UI, I love it
- AI masking is excellent
- performance ist super
- the filmstrip should be a bit bigger and maybe with a little space/separator between the images
- why don't the editing-controls always show up when opening an image? Too much clicks and it slows me down.
- why is it not possible to jump to the next/previous images from within the edit-mode? Real bummer!
- it would be nice to get the gesture double-finger double-tap to zoom to 100%.
- PLEASE give me fine tune controls for noise and sharpness of my RAW files!!!! Even when opening a file converted with PureRAW the image is slightly sharpened and denoised again which is really stupid.
- working with ProRAW files is a pain. I mean, yeah, I can edit them but I cannot dial down the tone mapping and there is always sharpness applied which looks just awful. WHY? I wanna work with a RAW file, not a JPG.

Constantly looking for improvements.

Thanks

2024-03-08 16:52:41

by PrinciplePete Hi there,

I'm having some issues with Photomator for macOS.

Here are my findings after a few days of working with your software.

- very nice UI, I love it
- AI masking is excellent
- performance ist super
- the filmstrip should be a bit bigger and maybe with a little space/separator between the images
- why don't the editing-controls always show up when opening an image? Too much clicks and it slows me down.
- why is it not possible to jump to the next/previous images from within the edit-mode? Real bummer!
- it would be nice to get the gesture double-finger double-tap to zoom to 100%.
- PLEASE give me fine tune controls for noise and sharpness of my RAW files!!!! Even when opening a file converted with PureRAW the image is slightly sharpened and denoised again which is really stupid.
- working with ProRAW files is a pain. I mean, yeah, I can edit them but I cannot dial down the tone mapping and there is always sharpness applied which looks just awful. WHY? I wanna work with a RAW file, not a JPG.

Constantly looking for improvements.

Thanks
I'm in agreement with you on the noise and sharpness control... I feel like Apple Photos has more control over RAW files than Photomator which is disappointing (luminance and color noise sliders).

Also, while I like the ability to use cube LUT files, I feel like the devs are pretty slow to respond or implement new features. I have a bit of buyer's remorse.

2024-03-22 12:18:27

by beesyrup
I'm in agreement with you on the noise and sharpness control... I feel like Apple Photos has more control over RAW files than Photomator which is disappointing (luminance and color noise sliders).

Also, while I like the ability to use cube LUT files, I feel like the devs are pretty slow to respond or implement new features. I have a bit of buyer's remorse.
Really? I find the devs quick to answer any questions or suggestions I've put forward? (not on here, via the feedback option within the app)

I would like to see them engage abit more with updates on how things are progressing on the roadmap & updating to show more stuff they are looking to in the future

Shelton.

2024-03-28 00:12:21

The filmstrip allows you to move from one photo to another without clicking done and reopening an image, that is precisely why it is there

2024-03-28 08:04:23

by Martin Chalifoux The filmstrip allows you to move from one photo to another without clicking done and reopening an image, that is precisely why it is there
Yes the idea is fantastic but useless when you cannot access it when you’re in edit mode.

2024-03-28 11:17:03

by PrinciplePete Yes the idea is fantastic but useless when you cannot access it when you’re in edit mode.
I'm not sure what device you are editing on, but on my mac I can have the filmstrip showing whilst editing? It maybe a device size limitation if you are using the IOS version on ipad/iphone?

2024-03-28 11:30:03

by Shelton
I'm not sure what device you are editing on, but on my mac I can have the filmstrip showing whilst editing? It maybe a device size limitation if you are using the IOS version on ipad/iphone?
I'm on Mac. It's not visible when you are in edit mode. It's visible when you just watch your photos. The Pixelmator team is aware of that.

2024-03-28 12:57:49

by PrinciplePete
I'm on Mac. It's not visible when you are in edit mode. It's visible when you just watch your photos. The Pixelmator team is aware of that.
Just making sure I'm not being an idiot, you are talking about the strip of your images down the bottom yes? If so when I double click on an image to open it, then click the edit menu top right at any time I can show/use the filmstrip by pressing the Option and S keys?

2024-03-28 13:07:30

You're not an idiot :-D We are talking about the same. But the strip is replaced by the preset strip when I click on edit. No way to get the filmstrip back. And there is no secret keyboard shortcut for swiping between images while in edit mode.
The team just gave me a workaround: when you're in edit mode you can press A (to leave edit mode), ARROW KEY (to select next image) and A again to enter edit mode. Not perfect but a workaround...

2024-03-28 13:16:09

by PrinciplePete You're not an idiot :-D We are talking about the same. But the strip is replaced by the preset strip when I click on edit. No way to get the filmstrip back. And there is no secret keyboard shortcut for swiping between images while in edit mode.
The team just gave me a workaround: when you're in edit mode you can press A (to leave edit mode), ARROW KEY (to select next image) and A again to enter edit mode. Not perfect but a workaround...
There is a way... when editing a photo, in edit mode, click the ... menu at the lower right and select "Hide Preset". After that preset won't show but you will have the filmstrip at all time. Just need to decide which you want to see.

2024-03-28 16:07:55

by Martin Chalifoux
There is a way... when editing a photo, in edit mode, click the ... menu at the lower right and select "Hide Preset". After that preset won't show but you will have the filmstrip at all time. Just need to decide which you want to see.
Ah its an either or situ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I wondered why I could see it if I wanted to as I use my own LUTS rather than presets, good find Martin!