Text - Type Settings

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2024-04-21 15:20:31

It would be nice to have Auto Width, Auto Height, Vertical trim options and Fixed Size features like Figma. It's a non-destructive way to align text quickly and accurately on a grid or guide. Currently the only way to achieve this is by deconstructing the text (pixel or shape).

2024-04-21 15:55:12

This is unclear. "non-deconstructive" Do you mean non-destructive? And what does this mean?

by winfordm Currently the only way to achieve this is by deconstructing the text (pixel or shape).

2024-04-21 16:45:29

I meant destructive. I corrected it. Thanks for catching that.

2024-04-21 17:00:55

No, I am a user, like you. I try to understand the troubles people have with PixPro. - and may be try to help.
I am unfamiliar with Figma; how does their "Auto Width, Auto Height, Vertical trim options and Fixed Size features" work?

What do you mean by "deconstructing the text"

2024-04-21 17:42:10

Thanks for clarifying that.

Deconstruction, in graphic design, means many things. What I'm specifically talking about is losing the ability to edit the original element. In Figma, "Auto Width" allows the user to select any font and the text box will hug the text; "Auto Height" allows the user to create a region (box or rectangle) and the text will hug the region; "Vertical Trim" gives the option to remove the baseline; and "Fixed Size" is similar to the Pixelmator Pro's text box tool with the "Shrink to Fit" feature. The difference between Figma and Pixelmator Pro is that the text box in Figma moves with the text while the text box in Pixelmator Pro becomes stalemate causing the text to downsizes until the box is resized.

Currently, the only way to align text to a grid or guide, in a symmetrical way, is by turning the text into shape or pixel (deconstructive). There are certain times and places where deconstruction is needed, but it shouldn't be for creating basic text in a box. When deconstructing in Pixelmator, there are two problems I am faced with: 1.) the quality of the text is no longer optimal, and 2.) the text is no longer editable. If there were a features like “Auto Width” and “Vertical Trim”, we could select a text, type a message, and resize the text symmetrically to a grid without deconstructing the text.

For the time being, I can manage, but the whole process makes more work and subtracts times from designing. Pixelmator is getting there. I've been a user from the very beginning, but I'm hoping they can provide more meaningful features that other programs are offering. I really hate having to go back and forward between software.