How to Colorize old Black and white photographs

A place to talk about anything else with other Pixelmator users.

2019-03-03 21:51:30

Can I use Pixelmator Pro to colorize onld B&W photos? If so, Is there a tutorial on how to do this? I have both Pixelmator and Pixelmator Pro. I know you can do this with Photoshop, but would like to use what I have. This would be for old family photos from 1918 and after. If there is another program that I should use, I would appreciate suggestion. Thanks - Keith

2019-04-18 08:19:29

I take a different approach to my colorizing. I usually like to paint in my colors, using the colors that I think are appropriate for the different parts of the image. And to keep life simple for me, different parts of the image are worked on in their own indiviidual layers.

To colorize the picture of Sheldon's mom, I started by selecting the skin and then coloring that area. Instead of using a single color I worked with two colors, each in it's own layer. The reason I did this is because skin tone is so difficult to get right. Using two different skin colors will allow me to vary the opacity of each to get the right combination of the skin color.

For the first layer, I chose a pinkish color. And for the second layer, I chose a "flesh" color.
I then set each of these layes to the "Color" blending mode.
I then varied the opacity of each layer until I was satisfied with the overall color.

I then selected the other parts of the image and colored them in a similar manner.

The first image below shows how I started out. And the second image shows my final image. When I had all the parts roughly colored the way I wanted them, I created a Hue/Saturation layer for each of the parts that needed further fine tuning.

In the image, Layer Set 1 contains all the color layers. I then duplicated this layer set and flattened it. I then used a curves adjustment layer to adjust the luminosity of the image and make it look less "colorized".

And finally, I applied whatever adjustment I would normally apply when working on an image, such as leveling, sharpening, etc.
https://diceus.com/offshore-software-de ... -benefits/

2019-04-18 13:48:47

That sounds like a pretty great set of steps, but it looks like your images didn't attach. Would love to see the result!

2019-04-26 15:49:24

Good day. Just join, a very interesting approach, show examples. Thanks.

2019-05-02 16:07:34

Hello guys! I also want to ask you about this. Could we use pixelmator pro for black & white photos? I need some app for my project here:

2019-05-02 16:08:05

Hello guys! I also want to ask you about this. Could we use pixelmator pro for black & white photos? I need some app for my project here:.

2019-05-02 16:08:05

Hello guys! I also want to ask you about this. Could we use pixelmator pro for black & white photos? I need some app for my project here: https://mobilunity.com/.