Pixelmator Pro 1.7 major update adds text on a path (and more!)

Discuss the latest Pixelmator news.

2020-07-16 12:48:02

We’ve been very busy over the last few months and we’re finally ready to share with you another great major update to Pixelmator Pro. Pixelmator Pro 1.7 Sequoia brings text on a path, canvas rotation, a new welcome screen, and version 3 of ML Super Resolution!

Get all the details on our latest blog post.

2020-07-16 14:48:57

Amazing. You can’t wait to keep improving it!

2020-07-16 15:21:50

Fantastic! What keeps you folks going? Why do you keep developing Pixelmator when industry uses Photoshop and Affinity products? I've been using Pixelmator and now Pro since day one. I prefer it over Photoshop so much; at least for the things that both of them can do. I just wonder how you stay motivated and what's the thinking behind continued development. Is there a blog post (even if it's old) that points to why this product is important to you, the reasons in the efforts behind it? I'd love to read a sort of 'why we're doing this' post about Pixelmator and the team. These days I only use Photoshop if I have to.

Nice work team. Keep pressing forward.

2020-07-16 16:14:27

Looking forward to the answer... I am very happy about what the Pixelmator team is producing! Pixelmator Pro is outstanding when it comes to ”developing” photos, which both Photoshop (you need Lightroom Classic for that) and Affinity Photo are bad at.

2020-07-16 16:23:42

by tangierc 2020-07-16 15:25:41 Fantastic! What keeps you folks going? Why do you keep developing Pixelmator when industry uses Photoshop and Affinity products? I've been using Pixelmator and now Pro since day one. I prefer it over Photoshop so much; at least for the things that both of them can do. I just wonder how you stay motivated and what's the thinking behind continued development. Is there a blog post (even if it's old) that points to why this product is important to you, the reasons in the efforts behind it? I'd love to read a sort of 'why we're doing this' post about Pixelmator and the team. These days I only use Photoshop if I have to.

I personally only use Affinity Photo when I need to perform some really advanced tasks that cannot be done in Pixelmator. Just a few, precision background selection/removal, precision RAW developing and advanced typography (OpenType alternates).

Pixelmator still keeps being the main photo app for me. It’s simplicity saves me a lot of time so I am happy getting things done. And the color tools are way more powerful and I love them.

By the way, Photoshop got uninstalled years ago.

2020-07-16 16:47:26

Text on path was actually the only thing that often caused problems to me, but I found myself using other techniques (which somehow complicated the production).
However, despite using photoshop for a long time, I fell in love with Pixelmator. I find it a much friendlier product with which I can do just about anything.
You are great!! I'm thrilled!

2020-07-16 17:29:45

Same here - great product. I use it just about every day. Definitely wouldn’t look back at Photoshop. Looking forward to this update.

Thank you for your good work.

2020-07-16 23:34:00

Quietly becoming a must-have iPad app. 😂 Canvas Rotation is beautifully executed and of course, like everything, accessible from within Photos. The UX has never been compromised and the feature set is incredible. Please thank the entire team for me Andrius 🍻

2020-07-17 09:33:44

Thank you, everyone, for your kind words! We're thrilled you're all enjoying the update! :raised_hands:
by tangierc Fantastic! What keeps you folks going? Why do you keep developing Pixelmator when industry uses Photoshop and Affinity products? I've been using Pixelmator and now Pro since day one. I prefer it over Photoshop so much; at least for the things that both of them can do. I just wonder how you stay motivated and what's the thinking behind continued development. Is there a blog post (even if it's old) that points to why this product is important to you, the reasons in the efforts behind it? I'd love to read a sort of 'why we're doing this' post about Pixelmator and the team. These days I only use Photoshop if I have to.

We don't really develop our apps for pros, or at least they aren't the first people we think of. First and foremost, we want to make image editing tools that are usable by 'regular' people and, when you do that well, it turns out, quite a few more advanced users enjoy that too. Having said that, as we've recently started collaborating more with artists for our Instagram page, we're also keeping more of their wants and needs in mind too.

As for why Pixelmator Pro itself is important to us — we genuinely enjoy developing it. We don't have any outside investors or complex management systems to push us, we just motivate ourselves. So, above all, it's a labor of love.
by Sean Eves 2020-07-16 23:34:00 Please thank the entire team for me Andrius 🍻
Happily! :beers:

2020-07-17 11:39:54

2020-07-17 11:50:54

As promised! :smile:

2020-07-19 12:49:38

can you change the path after you written something?

2020-07-19 19:08:19

This is huge!!!! Thank you for all of your hard work getting this into Pixelmator. It's like I invested in your stock and it just went WAY up! Wait... do you have stock? ;)

2020-07-20 09:39:00

Wow, thanks for the upgrade, may all your hard work pay off. As an experienced website designer myself, I highly recommend Pixelmator. :blue_heart:

2020-07-21 22:39:01

Really great update, thanks also for the clone tool improvement. Love type on text and improved ML3

2020-09-10 16:45:52

Free Rotation (Space-R)

I am now glad that I bugged everyone at Pixelmator to add this feature for so long! Thank you 100x

2020-09-11 14:03:27

by Christopher Dobey I am now glad that I bugged everyone at Pixelmator to add this feature for so long! Thank you 100x
:smile:

You're welcome!

2020-11-06 18:05:41

by Republiken 2020-07-16 13:14:27 Looking forward to the answer... I am very happy about what the Pixelmator team is producing! Pixelmator Pro is outstanding when it comes to ”developing” photos, which both Photoshop (you need Lightroom Classic for that) and Affinity Photo are bad at.
I like Photoshop because I'm already used to working in it. pretty well know the functions there, and like that. But I recently learned about pixelmator and now it's my favorite.