You don't have permission.....

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2020-12-16 21:28:59

I have Pixelmator 3.9.2. now running OS 10.15.7.

Most of my work involves files on chips from cameras. Since updating to Catalina, I have the following problem.

While editing a file, the message pops up:

This document could not be autosaved. You don’t have permission…..

If I try to Revert Changes, I get: You don’t have permission to save the file …

The same message comes up if I try to just Save.

I also sometimes get the Pixelmator dialogue box saying:

The operation couldn't be completed.
(PTImageIOErrorDomain error 2000).

But Get Info for the chips say: You have custom access.

And Sharing and permissions for the files I'm trying to save or revert always says: You can Read and Write.

Thanks,
David

2020-12-18 16:46:33

Hey David, could you email us about this at support@pixelmator.com? We'll take a closer look at what could be going wrong.

2021-04-05 13:52:43

I have been experiencing the same problem. I can save once, but if I leave the app open and come back later it says "You don't own the file...you don't have permission to write to it.

2021-04-07 07:20:01

by Anne Gassel 2021-04-05 10:52:43 I have been experiencing the same problem. I can save once, but if I leave the app open and come back later it says "You don't own the file...you don't have permission to write to it.
Hey Anne, are you to reproduce this consistently? If you haven't done so already, perhaps restarting your Mac would work here. :thinking:

2021-04-29 12:00:38

I am experiencing this same issue. I am running Catalina 3.9.2.

2021-05-04 13:27:49

I am having the same exact problem on two different Macs. One is running Catalina and the other is Mojave. It happens in Pixelmator but most often in Pixelmator Pro. The one solution I have found that consistently works is leaving the file that's giving me trouble open in Pixelmator, going to Finder to the folder ~/Library/Containers/com.pixelmatorteam.pixelmator.x/Data/Library/Autosave Information, and then changing all of the permissions for all of the folders/files in that folder to make sure that my account has read and write access.

I've also recently begun running in to this error in Pixelmator Pro: "The document “...” could not be saved." It seems to pop up when I'm editing/saving a file to Google Drive. I then have to duplicate it, save it to my Macintosh HD, and then delete the other copy that was trying to save on Google Drive. Then, I can manually move the file in the Finder over to my Google Drive folder.

Both of these issues are maddening...

2022-05-19 07:59:57

I have the very same problem. I can export the edited file as a jpeg, that's all. The problem only arose quite recently, in the past week or so. Duplication doesn't help.In any case, the duplicated file is the original unedited file. Very annoying. My iMac is running High Sierra.

2022-05-19 08:23:27

Hi Adrian, where are you trying to save the project? Do you notice any change in behavior when trying to save to a different location, e.g. your Desktop or your Documents folder?

2022-05-19 09:47:43

Now I get another message: The document couldn’t be opened. The document is damaged, or isn’t compatible with Pixelmator Pro 1.8.
And yet I created the file with Pixelmator Pro 1.8.! What is going on?

2022-05-19 12:40:24

Hi Adrian, would you mind emailing us at support@pixelmator.com with the project file so we could take a closer look?

2022-05-19 14:53:10

by simonasd 2022-05-19 08:23:27 Hi Adrian, where are you trying to save the project? Do you notice any change in behavior when trying to save to a different location, e.g. your Desktop or your Documents folder?
I've tried changing the saving directory, for example to the Desktop, but that doesn't work. Also, did you look at my second message, about not being able to open the document? The behaviour of the software is quite bizarre. There's no problem (for the moment) on my Macbook Air M1, but the screen is too small for editing comfortably, and I can't hook it up to my iMac screen as I have a late 2014 model.
All very frustrating.

2022-05-19 14:55:15

by simonasd 2022-05-19 12:40:24 Hi Adrian, would you mind emailing us at support@pixelmator.com with the project file so we could take a closer look?
The file is quite large, 136MB.

2022-05-19 17:59:47

I rebooted the iMac and the problems have gone away - for now. Could it be to do with the memory?

2022-05-20 14:55:32

Glad to hear the issue is gone! This seems more likely to be a macOS issue with your disk permissions. If the issue comes back again, I'd recommend repairing your disk permissions using the Disk Utility - here's how:

1. Open Finder and choose Go > Utilities.
2. Double-click Disk Utility.
3. Select the volume in the left pane for which you want to repair permissions.
4. Click the First Aid tab.
5. Select the volume for which you want to repair permissions again, and click Repair Disk Permissions.

2022-06-06 08:49:05

Thank you for your help.