Can't open RAW part of JPEG+RAW photos

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2021-01-06 21:06:30

I take photos in JPEG+RAW. After importing them into Apple Photos, they appear as a single photo with a "JPEG+RAW" tag. When I try to open those JPEG+RAW photos in Pixelmator Pro (using File -> New from Photos...), it only gives me the option to open the JPEG photo. This problem persists even after I select "Use RAW as Original" in Apple Photos. Is there a solution to this?

A workaround is to use the Pixelmator Pro Photos extension. Using the extension to edit a JPEG+RAW photo (after selecting "Use RAW as Original") allows me to use Pixelmator Pro on the RAW part of the JPEG+RAW photo. But is there a way to use the standalone app for JPEG+RAW photos?

2021-01-08 10:46:08

Hey Reed, for now, we don't have a fix for this but we do have plans to improve the Photos browser in Pixelmator Pro and this is something we should definitely fix. I think, for now, your best bet would to use the extension. Is there are a reason you'd prefer to use the standalone app?

2021-01-08 16:13:54

Hi Andrius, the extension is great and works fine for me. The main reason I was interested in the standalone app was because of the other problem I posted about (I wanted to see if the same problem occurred in the standalone app). But anyway, the extension will work for me. Thank you.

2022-05-05 17:40:24

by Andrius 2021-01-08 09:46:08 Hey Reed, for now, we don't have a fix for this but we do have plans to improve the Photos browser in Pixelmator Pro and this is something we should definitely fix. I think, for now, your best bet would to use the extension. Is there are a reason you'd prefer to use the standalone app?
Is this still not fixed? Not being able to select raw images from Photos seems like a major issue to me.

2022-05-05 21:46:28

I'm not sure, I deleted the app and haven't used it recently.

2022-05-09 15:56:37

Hi there, a fix for this is actually coming in the next Pixelmator Pro update - if you'd like, you can drop us a line at support@pixelmator.com and we'll be able to share a beta build of the app with the fix already implemented.

2023-01-09 14:33:36

Hello, I recently purchased Pixelmator Pro and I can't open the RAW files shot as RAW+JPEG from the Photos library using the extension after selecting "Use RAW as original". It actually opens the picture, but as a standard image layer, not as a RAW layer.
Is this still not fixed or do I something incorrectly? Thanks

2023-01-10 09:13:13

Hi there! Try opening the RAW version of the photo within Pixelmator Pro by using File > New from Photos, Control-clicking the photo in question and choosing Open RAW.

Please also make sure that the RAW files from your camera are supported by the macOS RAW processing engine - here's the latest list of devices supported in macOS 13.

2023-01-12 09:31:12

by simonasd Hi there! Try opening the RAW version of the photo within Pixelmator Pro by using File > New from Photos, Control-clicking the photo in question and choosing Open RAW.
That works, thanks!