Can you “save a copy” while editing a photo?

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2022-01-14 23:36:43

Is it possible to save a copy/make a duplicate while you are editing an app? If not, perhaps this belongs in Feature Request group, feel free to move the post if that makes more sense.

I’m finding more and more I’d like to have a few different crops of the same image, without any other changes. Right now (using Photos, not Files), I edit the photo, go back to the image gallery, long press, duplicate, then open one of the images, change the crop, and now I have my 2 versions.

I think it would be great if there was an option to make the duplicate/save a copy while you are still in the editing mode. Then the workflow could be, edit image as normal, create 2nd crop, save a copy, undo, close the image and commit the changes to the original.

I tend to do this for the purpose of creating an edited original aspect ratio, a quick 4x5 or 5x4 crop for instagram post, and then often a 3rd 9x16 crop for IG stories. Maybe this is not super typical or common, but as I’ve started taking my photography and editing more seriously I find that I want to share that in multiple ways and this is a process I’m repeating often.

This would create a much faster method to do these type of quick edits. Another example could be to make a quick B&W copy. I’m sure there are others, perhaps other people would have a similar use.

2022-01-19 12:41:46

That sure is possible — you can use Export or Share options for this. You'll find them in the More menu (a circle with three dots in the middle) at the top of your screen. Or, if you're working in the Photos browser, you can also touch and hold the image thumbnail in the filmstrip and choose Duplicate there.