how make the default template size for new files come from the clipboard?

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2022-02-16 19:56:37

Hello

I'm new to pixelmator. and I was astonished by how enjoyable it's to use it.
but sometimes there are some very simple features missing that affect the speed of work.
Like how can I make the default new file size come from the clipboard?
now I need to click on the clipboard thumbnail .. there's no way to reach it just by the keyboard.. and the clipboard template is never the first template.
or is there a workaround this right now?

2022-02-16 21:06:33

I´m not sure why it´s an issue when the clipboard content is on third place. Next new template will be in the first position based on the pixel size (Last used) - if this helps.

2022-02-17 14:27:06

by ahmed behiry Hello

I'm new to pixelmator. and I was astonished by how enjoyable it's to use it.
but sometimes there are some very simple features missing that affect the speed of work.
Like how can I make the default new file size come from the clipboard?
now I need to click on the clipboard thumbnail .. there's no way to reach it just by the keyboard.. and the clipboard template is never the first template.
or is there a workaround this right now?
In a situation like this, we have to balance different workflows – right now, when the Details view at the bottom is visible, the active element is the Width text field in that window with the presumption that most people are going to be creating images with custom sizes, so they can just start typing. Press Tab, type the height, press Return, and presto, you're working on a new image.

Of course, if there's an image in the clipboard, we could place it first in the template chooser and make that the active element. When I started typing this comment, I was a little skeptical, but now that I've thought about it a little, I'm not entirely against the idea. Obviously, we'll have to think about it!

As for workarounds, if the Show Details view isn't visible, then the preset items will be active, so you can use the arrow keys to get to the Clipboard preset and press Return. Pretty quick! All you need to do is click Hide Details at the bottom of the template chooser. If the width and height fields are visible, then you can press Shift-Tab to make the presets active, then use the arrow keys to get the clipboard preset. A little slower, but still not too bad. Hope that helps!

2022-05-31 16:56:27

Here’s another vote for defaulting to “new file = clipboard.” For users who frequently (if not generally) start from images on the clipboard, it is aggravating to constantly default to a standard size canvas.

Optimally there would be a preference for this, so everybody could have their desire satisfied.

The sparseness of Pixelmator (Pro)’s Preferences dialog is an unusually limiting factor for a program of its complexity and capability. An evident part of the reason is that the programming team tends to put choices at the location in the program where those choices are to be made. This is a great idea! However, it would also be good to have those choices duplicated in a location—i.e., the application’s Preferences—where the user knows and can expect they will be, aided by experience with other applications.