Pixelmator Pro for iPadOS still unavailable

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2022-02-25 23:40:06

Dear ma'am,

In the year of the Lord 2018 a thread was open here, on this very website, the Pixelmator community, discussing when Pixelmator Pro will be finally available on our iPads (https://www.pixelmator.com/community/vi ... 10&t=15645). At first it was promised by none-other than the pixelmator team itself that the app was already under development, and the release was right around the corner. Soon, the above mentioned team started to shift the narrative, making excuses about how difficult, demanding and outstanding programming would have been required for such an app to be released on, then, 2018/19 iPads Pro, due to their hardware limitations. Meanwhile, Affinity team had already released an iOS (nowadays known as iPadOS, in case anyone is not up to date with Cupertino) version of their software, despite those "limitations". It is also worth noting that around that time, 2018-2020, Apple processors started outperforming their own MacBook Pros with Intel chips. And yet, pixelmator team was still dwelling on their excuses, making up lies, giving empty promises they just couldn't back up.
Fast forwarding to 2022, the current iPad Pros are equipped with M1 Apple silicones, making the iPad just as powerful as MacBook Airs and entry level Macbook Pros, which were, "surprisingly", capable of running Pixelmator Pro, yet for some reason the pixelmator team claimed only a "miracle" could bestow upon us an app capable of opening their own native extention (PXD) on our latest iPads.

To finish my post, I am copy-pasting my own comment from the above mentioned thread, which was, conveniently ignored by Pixelmator staff:
Dear ma'am,

How is it conceivable that, in the year of the Lord of 2022, 4 years after being initially promised for iPadOS version to be under priority development by Dr Andrius, head of the Pixelmator PR Team, there is still no way on Earth to open our hard worked on PXD files, from the MacOS version of the above mentioned programme to any of your apps on an iPad Pro with the same silicon M1 chip found in the newest, top of the line, Macbook Pro?
As a senior Orthopaedic Surgeon, I have personally invested not only countless hours annotating and enhancing my patients MRI files in your programme, using dozen of complex vector layers to fully bring out to light crucial diagnostically relevant details, and spending hours upon hours of my own free time to master the functions your programme has to offer, but also thousands of euros to purchase and import the latest iPad Pro currently available in the US to Montenegro, in the hope that maybe, after the latter updates to the hardware introduced by Dr Cook this year, it would finally be possible to open a simple PXD file on a portable device, so that I could explain in the clearest way possible the pathophysiology and the outcome of the surgery to my bed ridden patients and their loved ones, only to discover that it is still indeed impossible to do so, unless of course I am willing to carry around the ward my iMac.
Am I supposed to believe that such an avant-guarde piece of technology such as the iPad Pro 2021 cannot handle such a simple task? The Pixelmator team has being saying they are working on it for the past 4 years: now, what am I supposed to make of this? Actions have to be taken and promises should not be given so lightheartedly, especially without the abilities to follow up on them.
Hope this help your creative process,
Dr N. Rita, MD PhD
It is a shame that in the year of the Lord of 2022 we still do not have the Pro version for our iPads.

Should the Pixelmator staff come across this thread, I would highly appreciate some explanations, updates, some hints perhaps whether the team is even planning to release Pixelmator Pro for iPadOS, or even acknowledging us Pixelmator Pro aficionados fancying using the programme away from our desks.

Best regards,
Dr N. Rita, MD PhD

2022-03-01 12:16:05

First off, apologies for the late reply! It looks like we’ve missed your initial message but I hope I can shed some light on the whole Pixelmator Pro for iPad situation below.

The story here is quite simple and there are really no ill intentions behind it. Pixelmator Pro for iPadOS has always been and still is in our plans. If you’ve been following us on social media or reading our blog posts these past few years, you probably noticed that we’ve been actively working on an app called Pixelmator Photo. When we were just getting started with Pixelmator Pro for iPadOS, we realized we couldn’t bring the kind of nondestructive editing experience that we had on Mac to iPad at the time. But we saw that we could create an incredible nondestructive photo editor. And we did! Now that we’ve released Pixelmator Photo for iPhone and iPad, we’re shifting our focus back to Pixelmator Pro for iPadOS. That’s not to say it’s no longer a challenging project — it still is — but it’s most definitely something we’d love to make happen eventually. When it comes to announcing timelines, it’s a bit early for that at this point, but as soon as we have anything new to share about how the developments are going, we’ll be sure to do so. :pray:

2022-07-23 00:26:21

Dear Aurelija,

it's me again. I cannot even express my disappointment. I have been relying on your program for a very long time, and I believe I have been patient for a very long time.
Let me tell you, ma'am, in the year of the lord, 2022, I will not carry my iMac from patient to patient anymore. I have developed severe indirect inguinal hernia, after all, I am a senior. Furthermore, I developed stage III internal haemorrhoids. All because of your incompetence. Shame!
I am tired of your empty promises. You know what they say, you can fool a Montenegro woman only once. This ends now.

I strongly encourage anyone to simply download Affinity on their iPad. Indeed, it is a big investment, not many can afford a private tutor directly from Zagreb, Croatia, but mark my words - it is more than worth it. My haemorrhoids are returning to normal, and I have a surgery booked for my hernia next week.

Stay away from these villains and have a lovely day,
Dr. Nora Rita P.h.D.

2022-07-23 21:32:29

That was such a dismal and rude bit of information Dr. Nora Rita P.h.D (I am not of the pixelmator team, but could not help responding.)

I'm sorry you have had so many physical problems carrying an iMac from patient to patient. But I can't help wondering why you need a photo/graphics editing app for patients, and used an iMac to do it. With all your professional education you must know that all things are not easy; software among them. Even I know that.

May I suggest, having your patients come to you where you can take and edit pictures? Sorry, not sorry to see you leave.

2022-08-11 06:27:57

by mccoytest That was such a dismal and rude bit of information Dr. Nora Rita P.h.D (I am not of the pixelmator team, but could not help responding.)

I'm sorry you have had so many physical problems carrying an iMac from patient to patient. But I can't help wondering why you need a photo/graphics editing app for patients, and used an iMac to do it. With all your professional education you must know that all things are not easy; software among them. Even I know that.

May I suggest, having your patients come to you where you can take and edit pictures? Sorry, not sorry to see you leave.

It already started bad with: The year of the lord…
1. There were many rising saviour gods before Christianity was developed (Osiris, Adonis, Hercules, Romulus, etc)
2. Through the dark middle ages (after the fall of the Roman Empire), there could be many years being lost.
3. Lithuania was Christianised quite late (14 century Ad). Maybe there are some still some “pagans” in the Pix Pro team…

Other then that Mrs. Dr. should go with the evidence and the proof suggest there is no lord!