New Text Layer

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2022-06-13 19:59:18

I find myself getting hung up on the same issue over and over when I'm adding a new "Text" layer to a project. Here is my workflow:
1. I click on the "Text" tool
2. I click on my image where I want the text to go, or draw a box where I want the text.
3. A new box shows up with the default string "Text"
4. I start typing and WHAM - a bunch of keyboard shortcuts happen, tool switching, etc. Now I'm in something based on the last key I typed. Say it was an "o" for Clone tool. Or Erase tool if I happened to type "e" last.

5. To recover I have to go back to the "Text" tool, and double-click on that new "Text" layer to start typing. Sometimes I accidentally create a new Text layer right next to the previous one. I double click it to turn the text blue and take keyboard focus into it for editing.

Here is my request. In step #3 above when the new box shows up the keyboard focus for input should immediately go into it (as if it was double clicked on), and automatically highlight the default text "Text" so that can wiped out when I start typing my own line of text. Escape key or click away will cancel out.

Thanks for reading my post!

2022-06-28 08:33:38

Thanks for posting this! The behavior you described is a known limitation for now — you must activate the text box (enter the typing mode) before you start typing. Otherwise, the text will remain in the arranging mode, allowing you to move the text box around the canvas. Right now, there isn't a way to separate these two modes. In the meantime, a good practice when adding text is to add it by double-clicking rather than single-clicking the canvas. This way, the typing mode will be activated for you automatically. When drawing a bounded text box, you can also press the Return key on your keyboard to activate it.

2022-06-28 16:37:59

I'm using the double click now to avoid this problem. It seems to be the best work around. Thanks for the suggestion!
Shawn

2022-06-29 12:42:08

I'm glad it works for you!

2022-06-30 09:19:02

Creating a text box with a plain, 1-click is a stupid thing to do. I don't understand why they force this confusing and different logic from other programs. After many years I still can't get used to it. But sometimes I feel it's in vain to post here on the forum, ask for something, or report a bug ... nothing ever happens.

They kindly explain ... and everything is taken care of ...