Select / Edit / Create new Shape - Confusion

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2022-06-30 09:06:07

Separate or distinguish the editorial mode from the new creation mode. Now the same panel appears, only the size setting disappears. .. The shape creation afterwards cannot be changed (rectangle to circle .. )
Therefore this panel is meaningless in Edit mode ..

It is very confusing that it is not clearly visible whether I am now creating a new shape and adjusting it, or whether the existing selected shape is being modified.

It was mentioned that the selected shape loses its selected status when the Esc key is pressed. Which doesn't make a lot of sense, and that's what's causing the confusion.

This is a particular weakness of pixelmator, I have written about it several times but nothing has happened, even though I have received many promises.

I asked for a simple thing, a shortcut to the shape: "Make Editable" menu.

2022-06-30 15:13:40

So, double clicking on the shape does not "Make Editable?"

2022-06-30 18:16:55

Yes ! that's right ..
But if the shape is not visible, not filled in, or too close, or overlapped by another shape .. I could list .. it is tedious to access this function from the menu.

2022-07-01 16:23:07

I understand that you want shortcuts for everything... but why would you want (how could you want) to edit something that is not visible? I have done simple testing, overlapped by another shape is easily double clicked even when totally obscured, if you can select it from the layers menu to find it. Not filled in test was, surprisingly, able to "Make editable" with double click, though invisible. Things work despite your saying they don't.

2022-07-01 17:21:11

Indeed. The double click solution for editing, but NOT my problem, the shortcut was more of a suggestion. Maybe I explained it wrong ... The problem is that it is not well visible in the side property panel what mode I am in. There are 3 modes. I'll describe it to make it clearer.

#1 The layer is selected, you can move it, but any shape setting will only apply to the newly created shape. You can't see the frame.

#2 The shape is selected, you can see the 9 white control box. You can then edit the color, line thickness, etc...

#3 Make Editable - The path outline is displayed, you can edit the bezier points.

I really don't understand why you need the first mode. When I click with the pen, a new layer is created anyway, I can't draw on the existing one, I can't add to it. I can move it in all modes. The only difference is that I can't adjust the colours and so on, and there are no 9 white squares to scale .

The main problem is that when I press ESC it goes back from #2 to #1 in ... and then I have to click on the shape again to change it (only the color, you got that wrong, not the path) If I choose a color, I press ESC to make it disappear (it disappears, but only on the 2nd press) because the first press only goes back from #2 to #1 in. Again you have to click on the shape to change it.

This is impossible to get used to !!! I don't see the sense of this ... (I know, it will be explained now, but I am not complaining without reason )
I keep having to click on shape again and again because I keep pressing ESC on the panels out of habit. It's the same in all programs.
Super tedious and annoying.

In this mode #1, I can't see which shape is active. Okay, I don't get distracted by the 9 control squares, but that's what "Show/Hide Overlay" is for .. nothing else makes sense to me.

The real solution would be to remove this #1 es mode.. There is no need ! it just confuses the user.

Moreover, it happens that it gets stuck, doesn't change, doesn't work. I have to select another layer, then the previous one again. I can't reproduce these errors, I'm not a paid tester, but it's a recurring phenomenon.

I don't know, is what I'm suggesting any clearer now ?

Such a nice likeable program ... If I didn't like it, I wouldn't write persistently. So much depends on such a seemingly small thing.
Please consider ...
I ask nicely again ...