Rotation cleared with crop tool crop

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2022-07-26 19:51:00

I want to slightly rotate and image and then crop using the new rotation.

Load an image that is slightly out of level. (one layer HEIC)
Rotate it -3 degrees to pull it back into level.
Wanting crop to the new rotation, Selected Edit>>Crop.
Note: the rotation I set get's cleared back to zero.

Note: Selection stays aligned to the original image, also. Image attached.

Notice my image is level to the bottom of the window but the selection Rectangle is aligned with the original image.

2022-07-27 01:53:42

Mmmh - why not rotating (Straighten) with the Crop tool instead?

2022-07-27 13:05:52

I finally found that. True rotation is part of transform bit why burry that there? Rotating object(s) is pretty common. many apps also have a free rotate igrouped with rotate left and rotate right.

2022-07-27 13:29:10

I´m not sure why you´re saying this. You can load a picture and the Arrange tool (V) will let you rotate images as you like. Not sure why you think "Transform" panel is needed for that. You even don´t need that compass icon thingy - hold cmd key down - go the one edge of the image and rotate and additional Shift key will constraint angles in 15° increments.

2022-07-27 14:33:06

True, but Even with what you say a free rotate is obfuscated. No where in the Arrange menu (from the menu bar) do I see the ability to rotate something 3°. I see rotate 180°, Rotate right and Rotate left. I am just as likely to want to rotate something 43° or some angle not a multiple of 90° than I am to rotate some some multiple of 90°. Making someone who is not a frequent user to looking for common functionality leads to frustration.

Unfortunately and sheepishly, I admit I wasted hours trying to work on this problem fiddling, using Search from the help menu, Searching the internet and Searching the discussion group and came up empty. I found plenty of examples of rotating canvas or layers, but nothing on rotating a object. Something I thought would take an half hour of so, took hours over many days.

2022-07-27 14:59:02

Sorry to hear you have difficulties to find the right tool. Maybe you´re not familiar with macOS Help system or just tend to look into the lowest drawer first instead of the top most - which is and was the Arrange tool (V); here it will be on when just dragging an image on the Pixelmator Pro icon in the dock fir instance. I´m under the impression you´re not trusting your instincts or expecting things way more complicated than they are:
Image Image
At the very least: Before it gets frustrating, you should ask here. And a look in the resources for tutorials is always rewarding. :blush:
Good luck on your future projects.

2022-07-27 16:25:09

First of all, don't question my instincts. They are different that your. My instincts are colored by working on a Mac CADD app for years where we tried to make things as easy as possible for the users.

Secondly, I do know how the Mac Help system works. I have programmed it. My searches started with Rotate and I further refined from there when I did not find and suitable answer.

Yes, there is a Rotate image. Last time I check objects like curves, lines, rectangle and oval are not images. That's one of interface hole when mixing pixels and vector. That interface hole makes it harder and most frustrating.I am glad vectors and pixel can be found in one app. In my oh so humble opinion more time could be taken to further blur the line between vector and pixels.

I did finally make it to the discussion board and now I am even more frustrated by someone questioning my ability perhaps not realizing that not everyone knows the exact jargon of PP.

2022-07-28 01:31:23

Oh well -and I´m on the "supporting side of things" for 2 decades using vector/bitmap-software since 1987 when the DTP revolution started and 3d subdiv-modeler since 2004.
Sadly, my recommendation was judged to be inappropriate, so I will steer clear of your questions in the future. I hope this meets with your acceptance. Not that I need that.

2022-07-28 14:43:45

Someday we all may learn not to think more highly of ourselves than we ought to think.

@Ellen I appreciate, very much, your support of the PP community trying to help those who think they know it all and those that know they do not know it all. Thanks for your efforts.

My personal preference is to lay down guides vertical or horizontal or both and type in the rotation (to tenths of a degree!) in the text entry point you pointed at in your image. In the original image the user seem to expect the selection rectangle to rotate, but that is not the way it works. It can be rotated if one likes but that does not "straighten" anything.