replace color not as precise as classic

A place to talk about anything else with other Pixelmator users.

2023-02-12 00:09:38

I am really disappointed with the new color replacement tool in Pro. In Classic, I could target a very specific color and replace ONLY that color with the one I wanted. Now, I am subjected to an obligatory range of every shade across the image. Well, what if I want to change a monochromatic image from one shade to another, like ONLY white to ONLY black? I don't want the greys to just get swept up in the adjustment, but no matter how much I play with the slide bars of range selection, it doesn't work. My white to black selection just blackens the whole thing. In Classic, I could knock out all the white and be left with the greys standing out intact. Is there a delete all of one color option?

2023-02-14 09:15:09

Hi there, are you working with pixel art or an otherwise low resolution image? If so, then this is a known issue - Replace Color is more oriented towards photo editing at the moment, so it won't work as well with low resolution and/or monochromatic images. We're looking to improve this in the future, but for the time being, you can use Select Color Range instead - just make sure to uncheck Smooth Edges in the Tool Options pane to get a precise selection. Select the color range you'd like to replace and fill the selected area using the Color Fill tool, or delete it to let a layer below peek through.

2023-02-14 09:55:07

Yes, thank you. That is exactly the problem. I use Pixelmator for artistic images, manipulating and changing photos down to bold, simplified art, often in monochrome. So, I need precision in choosing and changing colors in a single monochrome range. Your solution does provide a workable substitute, which I will use. Oddly enough it is not as workable as the old version. Sadly, Pixelmator classic is no longer available in the world region where I live, so when I lost it, I lost it. I do appreciate your attention to my dilemma and giving me something to continue working with. I hope in future there will be an update which allows me greater control in this area.

2023-03-05 02:44:21

COLOR REMOVER has a bug...when I turn it off it's supposed to restore the removed color...it does not.

2023-12-04 06:08:33

Hello! Are you currently engaged in pixel art or working with a low-resolution image? If that's the case, you may encounter a known issue. The "Replace Color" feature is presently more tailored for photo editing and might not perform optimally with low-resolution or monochromatic images. Although enhancements are anticipated in the future, in the meantime, you can employ "Select Color Range" as an alternative. Ensure that you uncheck "Smooth Edges" in the Tool Options pane for a precise selection. Choose the color range you wish to replace and utilize the Color Fill tool to fill the selected area, or delete it to reveal the layer beneath. Best of luck!

2023-12-14 08:08:02

Greetings! Are you currently involved in pixel art or working on a low-resolution image? If so, there's a known issue you might encounter. The "Replace Color" feature is currently more tailored for photo editing and may not yield optimal results with low-resolution or monochromatic images. While improvements are expected in the future, you can, in the meantime, consider using "Select Color Range" as an alternative. Be sure to uncheck "Smooth Edges" in the Tool Options pane for precise selection. Pick the color range you want to replace and utilize the Color Fill tool to fill the selected area, or delete it to reveal the layer beneath. Best of luck!

2024-04-04 09:55:26

Luckily I still have Pixelmator installed.

For my use case it is a much smoother workflow for my needs - making adjustments to image assets for software development.

In this case I just need to replace a single colour with a different colour. Pixelmator Pro has no way of doing this, which seems crazy to me.

I can also directly save to the original PNG image file in Pixelmator classic, without having to "export". Just a much smoother workflow for my use case.