Weird behavior change since the update

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2023-04-13 16:39:26

Since the update there seems to be a behavior change with how some of the adjustments interact.

Before, They seemed to apply in order, from top to bottom of the adjustments selections, and my workflow, as an illustrator/calligrapher, was to change the curve to make a photo into basically black and white, by bringing the handles for white and black to the center, and then "replace the color" of the background on the same adjustment, it was FANTASTIC (except how the software seemed to not understand P3 vs SRGB values sometimes and change them without my intervention.

But now it doesn't work at all anymore, the two adjustments seem to interact differently/weirdly.

Is this normal behavior?

How do the adjustments interact with each other exactly?

Many thanks! :)

2023-04-13 17:38:05

Hi Frederic,

Indeed, Replace Color is now executed earlier than in older versions (Replace and Remove Color currently applied just before Texture, Clarity, and Selective Color adjustments). This is done on purpose to handle some tricky use cases.

You can do your workflow in a different way now: first apply the Curves as usual, then create new adjustment layer, and apply Replace Color there. Also, you may want to disable "Texture-Aware Adjustments" (this is a new algorithm for Texture, Clarity, Shadows, Highlights, Brightness, Contrast, Replace and Remove color).

(We will take note of your report about sRGB vs P3 color.)

2023-04-13 17:54:03

I see, for now the way I went around it is change the RGB curves channels values respectively to change the white output and match the replace color RVB values I was using before, while changing the luminance channel to make the picture a high contrast black and white picture. It's way more efficient than to have to create and adjust multiple layers for dozens of pictures a day hahaha!

Thanks for your input!