Cataloging and rating photos outside of apple photos

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2023-05-11 13:25:41

It would be key for me to finally switch from Lightroom to be able to catalog, rate and batch edit photos that are not inside the apple photos library. You cannot upload to iCloud a 300GB photoshoot to be able to catalog and edit it. Most of us edit off of an external ssd, and we need the ease to swipe through and edit all the photos inside a folder with the same ease as what you have done with the photos integration.

2023-05-15 05:45:43

THIS! I sign on this 1000 times. This is really one of the key Lightroom ftte which makes that software stand above all. I am not really keen on using Photos for my professional work at all. Highlighting new photos, making catalogs, rating, sync changes, undi changes, make duplicates and working off SSD - just to name a few. I am on Beta and all these are very clunky. Obviously we can use Affinity for one off cases but I was hoping to see some really cool cataloging features in Photomator for Mac. Unfortunately this does not seems like the case. I am afraid this was big missed opportunity regardless you wanted to make the iPad x Mac same.

2023-05-16 08:52:37

It seems to me that working off an SSD is still not at all possible with the iPad with the current iPadOS. I have a Samsung T7 that I bought specifically to use it with my iPad Pro but it's proven to be useless for anything other than video editing with LumaFusion.

The problem is that no matter how I format my drive, after connecting it to the iPad one or twice the images become unreadable by the iPad. They still work on my mac, but for some reason the iPad refuses to recognize them after a few uses of the drive. Videos on the other hand still work, at least inside LumaFusion.

I suspect it has to do that the iPad doesn't have the "eject drive" button to enable a safe disconnection and somehow the system stops recognizing the images as images. Even the Files App doesn't show a preview of my images.

I've tried APFS and ExFAT, same problem.

Until Apple fixes this, there's no point at least on the iPad. On the mac though it's a different story.