Can't edit linked photos on iPhone

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2023-07-06 17:23:06

Hello, I have enabled nondestructive sidecar files on iCloud on Mac, however when I try to open linked files on iPhone they are not available to edit. I see them like grayed out, the only option is to increase resolution and few other functions in contextual menu but no real option to open linked file in photomator app and edit there.

2023-11-14 16:26:42

I've had this happen to me multiple times. Sometimes if I edit a photo on Mac, then open on iOS, the changes are baked in and I can't access whatever settings I used. I think it's an iCloud sync issue. Sometimes force quitting on iOS helps, or sometimes the next day it's fine. Frustrating though.

2023-12-01 14:52:18

The sidecar files are not stored in the Apple Photos library, but separately in a folder. That folder you can set to have it local on the device or in iCloud Drive. For the changes to be editable;el on the other devices you must make sure your iCloud Drive is shared between the devices and syncing. Since sidecar files tend to get way too bit (an issue with Photomator I hope they will fixe, I mean 500Mb is not rare). the loading of the sidecar can take some time, 30sec or more is not rare. As the sidecar loads you cannot edit. If your iCloud Drive is not set to sync you willl not see your previous edits.