Clipping masks combined with Shadow Style

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2023-07-17 14:38:54

Does anyone know if there is a way for a vector shape being used as a clipping mask to have an independent shadow? For example: if you look at the below image I have a star shape, and above it a burlap pattern layer with a clipping mask using a 'Hard Light' overlay. Now my problem is when my shadow is applied to the star layer, it extends the burlap pattern clipping mask onto the shadow also.
* I would like the option for the shadow to NOT include the burlap clipping mask pattern.

Things look even worse when I change the blending mode from 'Hard Light' to 'Normal'

The only way I can see to fix is to duplicate the Star layer, which makes future edits much harder because my source layer is now split into 2 copies "Star" & "Star copy":

Any help or improvements here planned?
Thanks
Shawn

2023-07-17 20:58:26

I found that if I merged the clipping mask and shape, the merged data can be easily shadowed.

2023-07-18 23:20:43

Thanks for the suggestion mccoytest.

Merge isn’t great either for my repeated work flow. I need to be able to easily swap out the pattern in the clipping mask, and retain/modify the shape. Any other tricks? I’m looking into automation to improve my typical workflow next.

2023-07-19 17:13:01

I was hoping the Image fill Effect might help, but no luck there either. It interacts with a drop shadow Style in the same way.

I think if pixelmator team added a new Effect it might work.
- Effect 1 - Image fill: replaces the clipping mask with burlap image
- Effect 2* - Shadow (*new Shadow Effect i.e. not Shadow Style which already exists)