Question: An equivalent sliders for whites/blacks sliders on other software?

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2023-11-18 11:10:45

Hello, I've just installed Photomator trial version and testing out some basic functions now.
My question is: how do you make contrasts on bright and dark area with Photomator?
Some other software out there has whites/blacks adjustments but on Photomator, black points instead. I'm a bit confused as it looks like those basic sliders work really differently in my experience. For instance, I'm used to emphasizing bright area by lifting whites while keeping highlights lowering. What should I use to get the mentioned effect?
Any suggestions are appreciated.

2023-12-22 01:54:50

Do you mean contrasts or tones?

2023-12-22 13:50:23

Photomator use a scheme used by other software as well, a little different than Lightroom. Use brightness to move the whole curve i.e. set your white point. Then use Black to set the black point, this will keep the white point where it was set previously. White point and black point adjustments can also be achieved using the Curve adjustment tool

This is not a contrast adjustment although it does affect contrast indirectly For contrast there is a contrast slide, and local contrast adjustments are done using Texture and Clarity sliders. Click the ... menu at the bottom right, enable all the adjustments (some are hidden by defaultt I think), and play with them a bit

2023-12-22 14:23:20

Using the curves tool will also allow you to adjust accordingly to taste

2024-01-14 13:03:02

I appreciate you all here a lot for helping me around!
I got Phototmator myself and been finding out a way it works for each now.
So far, I ended up having it as close as that Martin and Shelton mentioned.
I'm getting used to this way for contrast and tonality.
It's a such cool software, fast and beautiful, I liked it.

2024-01-16 15:42:41

by Shelton Using the curves tool will also allow you to adjust accordingly to taste
+1

Learn the Curve Tool. Any tutorial for any app about curves will do. It is pretty much the same in every photo app.