What is your Photomator workflow with RAW files and library management?

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2023-12-01 04:48:58

Hey all, I'm wondering how the people here manage their libraries, specifically RAW files.

Photomator is still very heavily tied to Apple Photos, and doesn't support things like quickly flicking through a bunch of photos in a Files folder on iOS. I could import all my photos from my camera into Apple Photos and have iCloud handle the organizing, but this will quickly skyrocket iCloud storage and mix RAW files with iPhone snaps.

Capture One is great on Mac, but bad on iPad

Lightroom is still king and allows me to have proper separation between casual and professional (RAW) shots, and even comes with it's own cloud storage solution.

Any nice solution here?

2023-12-05 16:41:05

The feature to access all files is coming very soon, the last announcement a week or so ago was they hoped to release it before the end of December.

2023-12-12 09:13:36

by Shelton The feature to access all files is coming very soon, the last announcement a week or so ago was they hoped to release it before the end of December.
Were there any information what this could look like? Just ability to select the files folder?
Something like Dropbox (like though the files provider) would be nice to fully replace the Lightroom workflow

Happy to beta test is any testers are needed

2023-12-12 16:42:19

by dvml
Were there any information what this could look like? Just ability to select the files folder?
Something like Dropbox (like though the files provider) would be nice to fully replace the Lightroom workflow

Happy to beta test is any testers are needed
I have no idea to be honest, I've been bugging them for months about it - had very little feedback or information apart from its coming "soon"

Most companies have an NDA for beta testers these days, I would suggest you contact them direct to ask about becoming a beta tester

Shelton.

2024-01-03 23:01:46

I would *love* this feature. I really don't like the way that I have to mix in my RAW unedited files with the photos that I take on my iPhone's camera roll.

2024-01-04 09:49:16

I dedicated a folder on my iCloud Drive to RAW files, which I can easily access via Photomator. I don’t like the idea of adding RAW files to the Photos app either, so this solution works for me. Needless to say, I had to upgrade to the 200GB tier on iCloud, but that’s a small price for the convenience of saving edited RAW files in .photo format that are pretty much the same size as the original RAW files. I used to archive my Lightroom edits in Photoshop, and each 45MP RAW file had almost 1GB file size after exporting in PSD format. With Photomator on my iPad, it’s not an issue anymore.🙂

2024-01-04 11:59:07

I’m testing this now as part of the 3.3 beta