RAF file size after import

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2023-12-18 09:51:13

Hello, I have version 3.2.1 of Photomator. When I import a RAF file (size 6OO x 4000) in Photomator it is only imported in a lower resolution (4492 x 3328). I'm losing bits and pieces of the image... I checked to see if there were any import parameters. I couldn't find anything. However, if I convert the RAF to DNG, the DNG is imported at 6000 x 4000! How can I solve this problem? Thank's.

2023-12-18 10:13:58

Please note that these are RAFs compressed without destruction.

2023-12-21 12:43:33

Is there no photomator programmer who can answer my question?

2023-12-21 19:21:17

Hi calpastou,

Apple still has some issues with compressed Fuji RAW.
Photomator is built on Apple's RAW engine, so unfortunately we have to wait for Apple to provide full support for these files.

All the best
Juri

2023-12-21 19:51:49

But Apple doesn't support Fuji compressed RAFs... so I don't understand! It's not Apple's RAW engine that works in my case, right?

2023-12-21 20:31:35

Yes, you're right, but that was the explanation given to me by the Pixelmator sup team (very kind people by the way).

Assuming that the above is correct it seems to me that Apple generally says that the compressed files don't work, but the engine is still able to do "something" with these files.
My compressed files work too, also with the right amount of pixels, but they are shown pretty dark compared to uncompressed files and color is changing slightly. I used an XH-1.
The same seems to apply to xt4 and xt5 files. However, i do not experience any changes in resolution.

Ah and with latest Ventura compressed RAF worked flawless in Photomator. That changed with Sonoma... for me at least.

2023-12-21 20:34:32

The bottom line: I'm a bit confused too. ;)

2023-12-22 04:55:30

Would love some clarification as well. From what I read on the blog post announcing compressed .raf support was added (https://www.pixelmator.com/blog/2023/07 ... w-support/), it seems like it is just some additional code on top of Apple’s raw decoding of Fuji files, rather than a full, home grown raw engine from Pixelmator.

2023-12-22 08:29:54

Thank you for your valuable responses!

2023-12-22 08:41:18

https://mega.nz/file/jUBBgAzK#QaD20jKBh ... n2k6rXRyUw
Could someone check with one of my RAFs? Thank you so much.

2023-12-22 13:39:40

by calpastou https://mega.nz/file/jUBBgAzK#QaD20jKBh ... n2k6rXRyUw
Could someone check with one of my RAFs? Thank you so much.
Yes, it crops in and is getting darker.

2023-12-22 17:25:52

4492 x 3328. That's it ?

2023-12-22 17:34:17

by calpastou 4492 x 3328. That's it ?
Yup.

2023-12-23 01:30:50

I’m seeing it too. Cropped and VERY saturated

2023-12-23 11:36:03

Since Apple does not support Compressed RAF and Photomator is using Apple RAW then there is your problem.

The app RAW POWER adds support for Compressed RAF ... see https://www.gentlemencoders.com
They offer unlimited FREE trial. So try it and see if helps your processing needs. It works stand-alone or as a Photos Extension. The programmer behind this app worked at Apple fot 18 years and worked on the Aperture app team.

My workflow using Compressed RAF stored in Photos is to process in RAW POWER, then move to Photomater or Pixelmator Pro for additional edits.

Full integration with Apple RAW Engine...https://support.gentlemencoders.com/the ... a-support/

"RAW Power, Photos, Pixelmator, and other apps use Apple’s RAW engine to decode and display RAW images. Apple supports hundreds of cameras with high quality decoding, excellent performance, and good color. The decoder is well integrated into Apple’s software frameworks, which makes it easy to connect to a high precision imaging pipeline like RAW Power’s. Overall, the Apple engineers have done an excellent job here. RAW Power has always had the most complete integration with Apple’s RAW engine, offering both the most features and the most control over Apple’s engine.

However, the lack of reliable camera support undermines the entire affair. Further, Apple doesn’t support Fujifilm compressed RAW images at all. This rankles in particular, as other companies’ compressed formats are fully supported. Fujifilm compression is an issue that has been going for at least five years – I have made multiple requests to no avail."

2023-12-23 18:07:41

by Lysander Since Apple does not support Compressed RAF and Photomator is using Apple RAW then there is your problem.
Photomator did similar and added support for Fuji compressed raw earlier this year. https://www.pixelmator.com/blog/2023/07 ... w-support/

2023-12-23 18:40:15

by Nadeem
Photomator did similar and added support for Fuji compressed raw earlier this year. https://www.pixelmator.com/blog/2023/07 ... w-support/
I missed that since you cannot see the embedded preview in Finder since Apple does not support compressed RAF. So you would need to shoot in JPEG + RAW to see the image for selection and the open the corresponding RAF in PMP. To get around this issue I use FastRawViewer to cull my compressed RAF images and then open the ones I want to edit in PMP.

2023-12-23 18:48:39

by calpastou Hello, I have version 3.2.1 of Photomator. When I import a RAF file (size 6OO x 4000) in Photomator it is only imported in a lower resolution (4492 x 3328). I'm losing bits and pieces of the image... I checked to see if there were any import parameters. I couldn't find anything. However, if I convert the RAF to DNG, the DNG is imported at 6000 x 4000! How can I solve this problem? Thank's.
When opening Compressed RAF from my X-H2 in either Pixelmator Pro or Photomator I see NO reduction in file pixel dimensions. So I am not sure why you are.

2023-12-23 18:55:06

by Lysandre <font _mstmutation="1" _msttexthash="11824111" _msthash="125">

When opening Compressed RAF from my X-H2 in either Pixelmator Pro or Photomator I see<span style="font-weight:bold" _mstmutation="1"> NO reduction i</span>n file pixel dimensions. So I am not sure why you are.</font>
:man_shrugging:

2023-12-23 18:59:55

Have you emailed Pixelmator’s support team about this??

2023-12-23 19:00:21

Thank you for complete response. Like many (old people ;)) I used Aperture. I own RAWPOWER, but I'm having trouble getting used to how it works. If PHOTOMATOR could work for me AND become an extension of Apple Photo it would be heaven!

2023-12-23 19:44:15

by calpastou Thank you for complete response. Like many (old people ;)) I used Aperture. I own RAWPOWER, but I'm having trouble getting used to how it works. If PHOTOMATOR could work for me AND become an extension of Apple Photo it would be heaven!
Photomator is using the Apple Photos app as its file manager. So no need to be an extension. It replaces the Apple editing tools with more advanced tools.

The folks at Gentlemen Coders have done many videos on their channel showing how to best use their app. You should check those out.

2023-12-23 20:13:11

by Nadeem <font _mstmutation="1" _msttexthash="11281244" _msthash="977"> Avez-vous envoyé un e-mail à l’équipe d’assistance de Pixelmator à ce sujet ?</font>
Yes !

2023-12-23 20:30:43

by Lysander
Photomator is using the Apple Photos app as its file manager. So no need to be an extension. It replaces the Apple editing tools with more advanced tools.

The folks at Gentlemen Coders have done many videos on their channel showing how to best use their app. You should check those out.
Raw Power and Photomator use Apple Photos as file manager similarly. If you can use one, you can use the other.

2023-12-30 09:14:21

Hi, I've got some news about my (minor) problems with RAFs. If I import the RAF into Apple Photos, open the RAF with RawPower without making any changes and save, the file is imported into Photomator correctly! It's a bit of a fiddle, but hey...

"Raw Power and Photomator use Apple Photos as file manager similarly. If you can use one, you can use the other."
Not quite, apparently...